C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2015-02-15 08:53:19

Brian Tivnan

Introduction

Hello, Brian here.

I am the proud owner of a Mk I, #45. Built in 1971 and commissioned in '72 in Mystic, CT as "Bananas."  The multiple years of orginination confused me for a while but I think I now have that correctly.

In 1978, she was then sold, relocated to Lake Champlain, VT and re-commissioned as "Rose."  This part of her history is less clear since the boat passed within the same family and the paperwork is spotty.  She is a documented vessel so maybe the US Coast Guard has  a complete history on her, from Niagara on the Lake to when I purchased her in May 2012.

Not a big fan of "Rose" and neither were my two young sons that I was trying to entice into joining my crew.  We re-painted her boot and cove stripes Hunter green and re-commissioned her "Vermonstah."

She remains powered by the Atomic 4 which seems largely original from what I can tell.  She had been on the hard for a few years when I purchased her, and she immediately overheated when I first launched her.  I have been slowly re-building the engine over the past 2 seasons and seemed to have her dialed in by the end of last season.  Big props for the folks and forum at Moyer Marine who were instrumental in assisting me on my engine re-build.  Without them, my sailing experiment for my family would have ended in failure after the second season.

Though I don't exactly have the keenest eye, I think the boat is mostly original with some obvious exceptions.  She has a roller furler and a dodger.  She is rigged for single handing which does not appear to be her original configureation.

My sail inventory includes a spinnaker which does not appear to have ever been flown.  And the running rigging currently lacks a spinnaker halyard.

That seems to be the essential info to introduce myself and my boat to the forum, apologies if that is more info than you wanted to know.

Thanks for maintaining this Association and welcoming me into the Forum.

Brian Tivnan
C&C 27 Mk I, #45, Vermonstah
Lake Champlain

Brian Tivnan
Lake Champlain

#2 2015-02-15 09:19:58

whippet

Re: Introduction

Hi Brian

Welcome. 

I have a dream to retire on Lake Champlain one day -- and if i do, will be looking for a C&C.    How big is the C&C fleet there?

Stay warm!
Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

#3 2015-02-15 10:18:35

Brian Tivnan

Steve,

I am no authority on the size of the fleet here, as there is much of the lake for me still to explore.  I can tell you that there are only ~25 boats in my mooring field and yet there is another 27' along with mine, I think that one is a Mk III.

And among the 100+ boats on the hard for the winter at the local shipyard, there is another Mk I.  Far from anything scientific, this is a "convenience sample" in the truest sense. There are at least another 3 major yards and harbors on the VT side of the lake and I cannot even venture a guess at the NY side.

It would be interesting to know the number of C&C 27s on Lake Champlain, but I would have no idea how we would go about determining that number.

I understand your interest to retire here.  We just love it - the skiing in the winter and the sailing in the summer.  Since we bought the boat, we have either skiied or sailed for 34 straight months and counting.  There are some fantastic properties on the lake - and no, I don't own one...  We tried when we re-located here from DC but could not make a lakefront property in the target school district fit within the budget.  As a retiree, you might not be so concerned with schools etc, and could find a secluded spot at a better price than around Burlington where we were looking.

And something you likely already know.  I think you can sail Whippet up the St Lawrence from Etobicoke to Montreal, then you can sail down from Montreal to Lake Champlain.  I have heard tell of such adventures, so I hope that I have that correct.

Let me know when you do and we will meet up. 

Brian Tivnan
Lake Champlain

Brian Tivnan
Lake Champlain

#4 2015-02-22 10:57:48

Jeff

Quick question for you Brian. Does your toe rail go all the way back to the transom on your boat?  I'm just trying to find out what hull number is the first to do that.

Thanks,
Jeff
C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#5 2015-02-22 11:51:57

Brian Tivnan

Wow - A fellow Mk I owner!

Yes, the toe rail goes all the way back to the transom.  Not on your boat?

Hey, Jeff, now can you help me out?

I am having a heck of a time replacing the wire to rope, jib halyard.  I have roller furling which leaves almost zero clearance for the halyard at the masthead.

What are the specs for your jib halyard?  Type, thickness and length of your line?

I am considering a rope to rope, maybe 1/4" to 3/8" line for my jib halyard.

Many thanks!
Brian

Brian Tivnan
Lake Champlain

Brian Tivnan
Lake Champlain

#6 2015-02-23 13:40:47

Jeff

I would say from about 3 feet from the transom and all the way around the stern my boat has a teak cap. It's also a Hinterhoeller and I'm not sure what number they became fully C&C. I pput a reply re halyards in your other thread the other day too. I don't remember how long mine was and had the fortune to do the job while it was horizontal. I also have a halyard restraint at the top just below the exit to keep the furler lined up nice.

Jeff
C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

Board footer