C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2015-02-26 13:56:04

mbasscc27

Original stain color for interior of 1972 MKI?

Does anyone know a match to the original stain they used on a 1972 MKI? Is it standard? It appears not to be just oiled, seems more reddish? I am rebuilding the galley and nav station counters and cabinets and need to match the stain. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Mike.
Mike Bass,
C&C 27 hull 165,
Pend Orielle, Idaho

Mike Bass,
C&C 27 hull 165,
Pend Orielle, Idaho

#2 2015-02-27 04:38:00

davidww1

Re: Original stain color for interior of 1972 MKI?

I would suggest that after the passage of so much time, the original stain colour will have altered considerably. If I were you, I'd get something that looks close, along with some small tins of colours that will modify your starting colour (maybe a small tin of a red hue plus ebony, to neutrally darken). Mix (recording what you add and in what quantity) until you have something that looks reasonable, then apply some to a test piece of the wood you're using. Let it dry, evaluate and adjust until you're satisfied.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2015-03-02 03:21:40

doogymon

Interested as well.

Nice to be able to touch up like shoe polish.

Staying away from anything varnish-like.

doog

#4 2015-03-02 03:21:41

doogymon

Interested as well.

Nice to be able to touch up like shoe polish.

Staying away from anything varnish-like.

doog

Last edited by (2015-03-02 03:21:54)

#5 2015-03-02 05:16:03

mbasscc27

Me too, I tested the engine cover area, scrubbed and lightly sanded it then applied some fresh teak oil, I was so impressed with how it came out I will be doing the entire galley area this spring as I install the new countertops and refrigerated cooler. If I use teak oil or lemon oil I will not have to worry about stain color again.
Mike Bass,
C&C 27 hull 165,
Pend Orielle, Idaho

[Our Forum software is older-generation and does not give good feedback when it's digesting a post. Please give it a minute before clicking 'Submit' a second time. Duplicate post is now deleted. - Admin]

Last edited by (2015-03-03 07:14:10)

Mike Bass,
C&C 27 hull 165,
Pend Orielle, Idaho

#6 2015-03-02 05:16:04

mbasscc27

Me too, I tested the engine cover area, scrubbed and lightly sanded it then applied some fresh teak oil, I was so impressed with how it came out I will be doing the entire galley area this spring as I install the new countertops and refrigerated cooler. If I use teak oil or lemon oil I will not have to worry about stain color again.
Mike Bass,
C&C 27 hull 165,
Pend Orielle, Idaho

Last edited by (2015-03-03 07:14:18)

Mike Bass,
C&C 27 hull 165,
Pend Orielle, Idaho

#7 2015-03-08 20:48:14

Katara

I like oil based Gel Stains a little more vertical surface friendly . unless you like runs and drips of liquid stains . Mahogany from Minwax is the closest match in my opinion . Tint is a personal thing , each product has it's own colour chart .
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

Board footer