C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-11-08 02:44:35

C&C 27, 1984

Hi, I just looked at a nice C&C 27, 1984 model. I presume this must be a Mark V. The only questionable aspect of the boat was it is equiped with an OMC saildrive. Was this a typical engine/drive for the MK V and how reliable is the unit?? Pros and cons? Much appreciate comments. Thanks, Ron Nash

Last edited by (2006-12-06 08:20:21)

#2 2004-11-08 05:27:36

davidww1

Re: C&C 27, 1984

The OMC Saildrive is basically a detuned 2-stroke outboard motor with a rubber motor/hull skirt halfway up the drive leg, so it has all the strengths and weaknesses of an outboard. Apparently, they are much reviled in salt water but sort of okay in fresh water. This is, however, a 20-yr-old outboard, so the prognosis is not good either way. There is a drop-in replacement called the Saildrive 280 that uses Volvo and Honda components.

Google the term, "OMC Saildrive" and you'll find a lot of information on how to look after one and even an an article from Sail on how to cut it out of your boat. The San Juan 28 association site links to a member's  article on repowering an OMC-equipped boat with a Volvo saildrive. This fellow says parts are difficult if not impossible to find.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2004-11-08 07:46:05)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer