C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2016-07-05 23:57:31

davidww1

Engine cooling puzzle

Normally, there has been a substantial flow of water from my exhaust, but this season, there didn't seem to be as much splashing and spluttering as usual. No temperature warning, but the flow seemed off the pace. Looked at the impeller - no problem there. No leaks, either. Fortunately I remembered that the engine seemed to take a long time during its first start after launch to begin expelling water. That was the clue; the engine wasn't sucking water from the lake with its usual thirst. I took the cover off the water strainer and found that the gasket had semi-perished and compressed to the thickness of a sheet of airmail paper. No longer doing its job, it was allowing a small amount of air into the strainer, compromising suction of water into the strainer and then to the engine.

The solution was to buy a small sheet of rubber (about 1.5mm thick), trace then cut out the shapes of the strainer cap and its retaining nut/washer. With installation, problem solved.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer