C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2016-07-11 01:29:11

vtxrider55

Sink cabinet and engine cooling

I am in the process of cleaning my boat which I acquired late in the season last year and noticed that there is no partition wall separating the shelve from the engine in the compartment below the sink. After numerous years of use it is very apparent the there is "soot" and residue from the engine coating the shelve, etc.

I want to install a partition in this area as well as below this shelve in an effort to contain the exhaust and engine residue from infiltrating this area so that items will remain clean.

My thought is that the cabinet door remains closed anyway so there must not be an issue for engine ventilation to begin with, so that if I do close off the opening in this wall by the shelve there should be no issues regarding proper engine ventilation. Am I wrong with this idea?Roy
Scorpios Two
C&C 27, 1971, hull #17
Forest City Yacht Club
Cleveland, Ohio

Roy
Scorpios Two
C&C 27, 1971, hull #17
Forest City Yacht Club
Cleveland, Ohio

#2 2016-07-13 00:37:19

Tonyj

Re: Sink cabinet and engine cooling

Hi Roy;
Engine compartment ventilation is provided by the two cowl vents aft of your cockpit.  The inlet cowl should face forward, the exhaust aft. The exhaust should be connected to a hose which exhausts the air (and fumes) from low in the engine compartment.
Adding a panel that would isolate the sink compartment is a good idea.
There is a panel separating the engine area from the under sink compartment on my MkV.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske MkV #581 FLYING CIRCUS
Silver Gate YC, San Diego

#3 2016-07-13 00:48:12

vtxrider55

Hi Tony!

Thanks for replying!

I did turn the cowls opposite of each other for winter storage to allow air to move freely depending on the wind direction off of the lake,and left them that way, but I never checked to see which one was for exhaust or intake! Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I will be checking that today!!

I just finished cleaning 45 years worth of engine soot off that shelve area, so I am going to install the panel to separate the engine compartment from the under sink compartment as well.

Thanks again!Roy
Scorpios Two
C&C 27, 1971, hull #17
Forest City Yacht Club
Cleveland, Ohio

Roy
Scorpios Two
C&C 27, 1971, hull #17
Forest City Yacht Club
Cleveland, Ohio

#4 2016-07-15 00:07:10

davidww1

Bear in mind that there are service areas on both sides of the engine (longer term on the starboard than the port, but you still need access). Make sure your new panel is easy to remove when you need to, or things will get skipped because it's too much of a hassle to get in.

On another note, you should monitor the amount of soot that is deposited in the next year (or months). Noticeable amounts of soot indicate either a malfunction or a leaking exhaust.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2016-07-15 01:05:20

vtxrider55

Hi David,

Thanks for the tips.  I ended up putting 2 panels in on the starboard side, 1 panel alone was too big to maneuver by the sink and drain hose, it was easier to cut the panel in half and place the 2 halves into place, etc.

As for the amount of soot, I will check at the end of the season. I cleaned everything so now I have the ability to determine if any significant (new) amount will accumulate. If what I cleaned was the total amount after 45 years, I don't feel that I will have anything to worry about!

Thanks again!

Roy
Scorpios Two
C&C 27, 1971, hull #17
Forest City Yacht Club
Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by (2016-07-15 01:06:21)

Roy
Scorpios Two
C&C 27, 1971, hull #17
Forest City Yacht Club
Cleveland, Ohio