C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2016-09-20 04:23:40

KnotiusMax

Mark V Cutlass Bearing Replacement

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone has replaced the cutlass bearing on a mkV and could give me a simple breakdown of the steps along with what materials are required.  I'm hoping to do this work this fall after haulout and like to order the mat'l now.
I have searched the forums but didn't find anything specific to the mkV and assume that she'll have a different config than the classics.

Appreciate any help/info.
Regards,

Scott Fraser,
Knotius Maximus
Mk V - Hull 154
Toronto

Scott Fraser,
Knotius Maximus
Mk V - Hull 154
Toronto

#2 2016-09-21 05:43:57

Hardlee

Re: Mark V Cutlass Bearing Replacement

Scott

I have done lots of repairs and upgtades to my sailboats over the past 40 years.  This is one I know about and have left for those who have acquired the art.  It involves tricky steps such as removing and reinstalling the propeller shaft.  Rebuilding the bearing itself is one more art not to take lightly.  Maybe the brave might to do it with a coach who's done them before and helps with guidance through the details.  Here in Maine the lobster fishermen teach eachother how.  The sailboat owners find a solid boatyard that has references. 

Good luck. 
John Lawrence
Northern Dancer, Mark V, 1986
Pemaquid Harbor, Maine

John Lawrence
Pemaquid Harbor, Maine

#3 2016-09-21 07:30:03

davidww1

It's really not that difficult. I've done it twice with no issues (once because I had to, twice because I was putting in a Shaft Seal and it seemed silly to pull the shaft and not do the cutless bearing at the same time). The only awkward bit is removing the old bearing, but it comes out relatively easily if sawn through carefully, then levered out.

There is a good article on the process at http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_a_cutlass

I do recommend putting in a Shaft Seal at the same time, but that's $200, plus you may feel the need to replace a $500 shaft depending on how worn the present one is.

The club mechanics can probably tell you which bearing is required, based on shaft diameter. Order through the Chandlery and you'll have it in a couple of days.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2016-09-24 01:58:57)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2016-09-21 10:05:34

Hardlee

There you go Scott.  My comment stimulated a better response.  Also, You Tube has a number of how to demos on doing this which may serve to embolden you further. 

I would pay about $1000 US to have it done by a known expert including the shaft seal. 

John Lawrence
Pemaquid Harbor, Maine

John Lawrence
Pemaquid Harbor, Maine

#5 2016-11-22 05:40:04

KnotiusMax

Thanks David - I was almost resigned to having the yard do the work but sounds like it isn't an impossible feat.  I do have a Shaft Seal but can take advantage of installing the maintenance kit at the same time.

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Fraser,
Knotius Maximus
Mk V - Hull 154
Toronto

Scott Fraser,
Knotius Maximus
Mk V - Hull 154
Toronto

#6 2016-11-22 06:20:05

davidww1

The only tricky bit is cutting through the old one without going too far and cutting the p-bracket. You just have to pay attention.

Now the real reason for this post - what's involved in a Shaft Seal maintenance kit (I assume the main item is the rubber bellows) and how often should the work be done?

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#7 2016-11-22 06:23:43

KnotiusMax

Bellows and O-Rings are the main parts replaced - frequency is 6 years according to the manufacturers site

PSS Maintenance Kits

As with any rubber hose below waterline, the PSS bellows must be inspected on a regular basis for any sign of wear, aging or chemical deterioration. PYI suggests preventative maintenance. The PSS bellow should be replaced in six year intervals. During bellows replacement it is recommended the o-rings & set screws in the stainless steel rotor also be replaced.

Bellows may need to be more frequently inspected in an environment where non-sealed batteries emit sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid vapor will accelerate rubber deterioration, as will an ozonater.

Scott
Scott Fraser,
Knotius Maximus
Mk V - Hull 154
Toronto

Scott Fraser,
Knotius Maximus
Mk V - Hull 154
Toronto

#8 2016-11-22 07:00:20

davidww1

Thank you for that - I'm glad I asked. It seems I'm a tad overdue, given that I installed Towser's Shaft Seal in 2005. Something to add to the spring to-do list (I think I've got about three years on the current impeller, which could turn into a real showstopper).

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer