C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-11-17 06:40:29

Mildew odor in cabin

Hi folks;
Just last week I saw there had been a discussion about this, however I can't seem to find it this week.  Can someone point me to the previous discussion about getting rid of mildew odor?   Thanks.
Horace
76 MKIII
Newport, RI

#2 2004-11-17 07:13:49

davidww1

Re: Mildew odor in cabin

There is an article on "Heads, holding tanks and other nasties" in Black Arts that covers the wide world of bad boat smells.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2004-11-17 07:32:22

Thanks Dave:
I knew I had seen it, just looking in the wrong place.
Horace

#4 2004-11-18 01:01:43

KenPole

Further to what's in the "Black Arts" section, getting rid of the final vestiges of an odour can be a challenge once the problem has been dealt with at the source, whether it's the head or bilge. At the suggestion of a friend, who had a severe smell in his new-to-him CS27, I acquired from Lee Valley Tools mesh bags of "volcanic rock" which LVT says in their catalogue works "like super baking soda" to absorb and neutralize odours. As with any LVT tools/supplies I've bought over the years, the stuff works as claimed. (No, I do not work for LVT.) I not only hung one in my boat but also bought two for home -- one for our cold storage space under the concrete front steps, the other in our warm-storage room in the basement. Despite markedly dissimilar humidity and other conditions, the smell had vanished from all three within a few days and has shown no sign of returning. A two-pound bag, Cat. No. KD401, is C$13.75; a pair of four-ounce bags suitable for small spaces, CN KD405, is C$8.95. I think feel that's expensive, these are a one-time purchase in that the stuff evidently can be  "recharged" by putting it in the sun every six months and, annually, soaking it in salt water then rinsing thoroughly. Hope this is useful.

Ken Pole
Santiva
Ottawa

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#5 2004-11-18 03:42:58

There are numerous products to kill the mold/odor producing growth on the inside of a boat... some work and some do not.... the best solution that was recommended by another sailor who is also a vetinarian(he cleans his offce with this stuff) is a product called SPRAY NINE...you can get it at West Marine and other marine suppliers.... besides cleaning with it, you can spray it into areas you cannot reach, like behind the holding tank etc.   I have used this now for 8 years, every fall and when I open the boat up in the spring there is no odor. It is safe on all surfaces, fabrics, and it does a terrific job of getting rid of the black stains that form on winch handle pockets, vents and the like.

"IRIS"
C&C 27 MKlll
Hull No 453
Kittery Point, Maine

Board footer