C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2012-07-05 02:03:20

Anna69

CC27 height from keel to cabin top

Hi folks,

In anticipation of my deck repairs next winter I am searching for a garage or barn to move my 1976 mark iii into. Anyone know the total height of the boat from bottom of keel to top of cabin? 

Thanks
R.

Russ Arnott
C&C 27 Mark III
Vancouver Island

#2 2012-07-11 07:17:09

davidww1

Re: CC27 height from keel to cabin top

This may not be be quite the answer you're looking for but here's a value calculated by measuring a high-res copy of the photo at http://www.cc27association.com/guide/source/mk4cradle.html
The photo is shot square on to the boat, so the measurements ought to be fairly accurate.
Length is 1513 pixels (length of hull only) and the height is 580 pixels; the length given for the boat is 27.9' (approx), so 580/1513 x 27.9 equals 10.7 ft. (approx). This value includes an additional approx. 6 inches for the "feet" that the club attaches to our cradles to simplify handling.
If a 27 gets hauled in the next little while, I will try to measure it.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2012-07-11 13:40:21

Anna69

Excellent, thanks.

Russ Arnott
C&C 27 Mark III
Vancouver Island

#4 2012-07-12 03:11:20

bosco

Hey R.

This web-page has a link to another C and C site where you'll find an "Alladin's Cave" of info.  Among that stuff is a copy of the original C &C 27 Mk 111 brochure giving the mast height above the water as 41 feet. I've never measured  it but have always used  this number for clearance under bridges and power lines--- There's a marina nearby which I can't get to with Aragorn --- the power line strung across the entrance there is too low .
  Given that the "P" figure for the Mark 111 is 31 feet, if you measure from the gooseneck fitting ( "x" feet)to the mast step, you can easily figure the distance from the mast step down to the waterline .
  41 - 31= 10 feet from the gooseneck to the waterline minus "x" =  above water height of the hull . Add the draught of 4 ' 6" and you'll find you needed clearance ( except  that the hatch cover is a little higher than the mast step and as Dave suggests , you'll need a bit of room under the cradle as well)

Clare Jordan,
Stormont Yacht Club,
Long Sault

#5 2012-07-20 07:37:57

davidww1

I measured a 27 Mk III on fairly level ground, stored in a Marine Cradle shop cradle on 6" blocking; the combination of cradle and blocking puts the bottom of the keel 14.5" off the ground. From the ground to the top of the toerail at the aft end of the coachroof is 98". From the top of the toerail to a line extending from the top of the spray hood is 28".

From the ground to the top of the bow pulpit (highest point), is exactly 12 feet.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#6 2018-02-13 15:43:32

Van_Isle

Resurrect an old thread here. So if I have understood the measurements correctly, from bottom of keel to top of the coachroof hood it is 98-14.5+28 = 111.5" = 9.3'. Stern pushpit would be higher but not as high as the bow pulpit. For the bow, related to the keel bottom it would be about 10.8' (assuming the boat measured was sitting fairly level fore-and-aft on the cradle).

1979 C&C 27 MkIII, Hull No. 780
Cygnet
North Saanich, BC

Cygnet
North Saanich, BC

#7 2018-04-07 17:23:51

Van_Isle

Following up ... it was a MkIII that was measured.

But is the Sailboatdata.com info correct?

Deeper keel at 4.75 ft draft (vs. 4.25 ft for previous models).
Less ballast at 2116 lbs for MkIII vs. 2312 lbs for earlier versions but the MkIII is heavier with displacement of 5500 lbs vs. 5180 lbs for previous models?

The ballast isn't an issue for me but I'm looking at trailers, so the displacement is. Also the overall height to see if I can fit it in the covered storage area I have available to me.

Cygnet
North Saanich, BC

Cygnet
North Saanich, BC

#8 2018-04-08 09:05:09

davidww1

You should treat our data as definitive.

Except... every owner I've ever talked to who has done the full IMS process -- which involves stripping out the boat and then weighing it -- has lamented that they've come in way over the manufacturer's spec weight (a C&C 99 came in 800 lb over spec! -- outrageous for a one-design racer!). So add a fudge factor -- like 1000 lb to make allowance for a "few" extra pails of resin in build, the weight of water absorbed by the hull, and the weight of the stuff you can't be bothered taking out of the boat. Make sure the trailer and tow vehicle are safe with that weight;  some earnest diy'er tried to tow his boat home with a totally inadequate rig, lost control at 80km/h and lost the boat -- and fortunately only the boat -- off the edge of an elevated highway.

I mentioned earlier that the total height at the pulpit is 12 feet, with a 14.5" allowance for the cradle height. That 14.5", I think, is your critical variable dimension (unless you want to start pulling the pulpit, spray hood and pushpit off). Is the height of the trailer's keel plate above the road more or less than 14.5"? That measurement will tell you if you need more or less than the 12 feet I measured on my MkIV.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#9 2018-04-17 00:57:43

Van_Isle

Thanks David

Yes I was expecting that the 14.5" would be the critical factor and also anticipated acquiring a trailer with extra capacity.

My boat is located at a marina about 3/4 of a km from my house, so that's a bonus, but there's a somewhat awkward couple of turns involved along with a hill, so stability would be a key factor for me.

Cygnet
North Saanich, BC

Cygnet
North Saanich, BC

Board footer