C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-11-22 04:03:29

Conflicting advice on cleaning deck

Hi;
I'm getting conflicting advice from friends on cleaning the deck fiberglass.  Both the non-skid and regular fiberglass components of my deck have pretty bad mildew stains and discoloration (sp?).  Some folks have said the best stuff is 3M, others say that that will ruin the gelcoat.  Other folks suggest star bright and still others say get a buffer.  The boat has been on the hard exposed to the elements for two years.  I want something strong, but at the same time I don't want it to take of the gelcoat - if there is any left.  There are places where it is green (obviously mildew) and some places where there are abrubt differences in color between a kind of grey and clean fiberglass. Any thoughts?Horace Henderson
76 MKIII - Newport RI

#2 2004-11-22 04:55:28

Re: Conflicting advice on cleaning deck

Mold, mildew and the like are from a cleaning stand point the same no matter what color they are..... older fiberglass and gelcoat are somewhat hydroscopic and will absorb moisture, thus attract varying spores.  Sunlight and dryness are great for keeping the stuff from growing... plastic covers and boats left under pines trees are problems..... on a previous answer for interior black mold I suggested SPRAY NINE... it works just as well on the outside of boats... you may need to clean the surface a couple of times but it will remove the stain and the spores.... once clean you can keep using the S N once a season or find some way to seal the deck...

"IRIS"
1975 C&C 27 MKlll
Hull No 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#3 2004-11-22 04:58:51

davidww1

>discoloration (sp?)

I would have said it's "discolouration", but the Oxford dictionary prefers "discoloration". Curious. Anyway...

I use a power washer when I can and this might be your best first step. It won't do anything chemically to your gelcoat and it will remove an amazing amount of crud. If there's anything left to remove after that, you can take some of the other advice that will doubtless be offered. Just don't point it at the joint between the toe rail and deck, because if will wash the bedding compound out.

While you're at it, clear everything you can out of the lockers and bilge, then hit those areas with the power washer. You'll be amazed at the difference. The only problem with these devices is that you will find yourself washing things that it would not otherwise occur to you to wash, like your porch ceiling. Exercise restraint.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2004-11-22 06:07:51

Ah the joys of the power washer.  The first day I bought mine, I broke a couple of bricks in my front walk way - lesson learned.  The problem is getting it to the marina and up the 12 feet to get it on my boat which is on stands.  I wonder if I can make a ramp and winch it up - interesting.  I'm assuming the hatch and windows are also good places to avoid?  Thanks for the info.
Horace Henderson
76 MKIII - Newport RI

#5 2004-11-22 06:26:20

davidww1

Crikey! what have you got? Are you sure this sprays water, rather than flame? Sounds a bit different from my 20-lb. plastic toy. For all that, at 1,200 psi (Karcher's claim, not mine), it's more than strong enough to wash a deck. And yes, I'd avoid rubber, soft plastic and anything else you don't want to risk damaging (the club's Marine Services guys have one that takes VC-17 off the bottom, which sort of annoys me, because it's good from one year to the next).

Spray Nine sounds good, but I checked and it's not available in Canada.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#6 2004-11-22 08:09:33

Oh yes---the mildew thing!  Living and owning a marina in SW Fl for many years has earned me a PhD in that stuff.  There are all kinds of "cute" products that the "sales associates" at one of the boat mega stores will swear by---usually the small spray bottle with 600 percent markup.  We have a great lady here that does magic in detailing boats----her secret----pool chlorine.  About ten times the strengh of clorox----and 1/10th the price.  When she brings that 2 gal jug out---the mildew spores just jump off the boat.  Strong stuff---be cautioned!!!!!
Re the pressure washer: We have a 1200psi---a 2500psi---and a 3750psi.  The 1200psi is all you need for general cleaning---(about $120 at home depot).  The 3750psi is for bottom blasting, etc.  This is a dangerous piece---Just ask our yard guy who tried to "clean his toenails" while pressure washing a boat.  I'm not kidding---this guy decides to give himself a pedicure with 3750psi.  So we end up with a workers comp. claim---for his missing toenail--(Giant, left foot).  I tried not to call the guy stupid during the hearing---which we lost----but I did comment to the examiner that we were lucky that he didnt have hemroids.
BTW----when the 1200psi breaks----throw it away----they dont have parts for them.  With moderate use they work fine for a couple of years---then say goodbye to the wand, etc.
Dave in Ft MyersDave Tinder
DAWN BREAKER  Mk3
Ft Myers

#7 2004-11-23 00:34:02

I'm assuming he didn't work for you for to long after that.  We have a park in the neighborhood that people like to bring their dogs to and not clean up after them - so I got the biggest pressure washer I could - my dogs and daughters like a clean park to play in.  I'll probably go get a 1200 PSI one for the boat.  I'm assuming that since the pool chlorine has been used over a long period of time, that there is no long term downside to it?  Thanks for the info.
Horace Henderson
76 MKIII - Newport RI

#8 2004-11-23 21:06:18

A 2500 psi power washer and a spray bottle of clorox (although the pool chlorine sounds good) will remove the nastiest of stains and the power washer will handle most of the bottom work. Home Depot or Lowes for just under $200.00.

Rick Quann
'89 Wave 26, Colonial Beach, VA

Board footer