C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2016-03-27 09:32:07

Brian Tivnan

Spinnaker Halyard for Mark I

While I have my mast unstepped, I would like to replace the spinnaker  halyard. There was no spin halyard when I bought the boat, so I don't have any reference.

Can anyone with a Mk I tell me the length of your spin halyard, either actual length or say relative to the length of your main halyard?

For my spin halyard, I just have a block to starboard at the masthead.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.
Brian Tivnan
C&C 27 Mk I, #45, Vermonstah
Lake Champlain

Brian Tivnan
Lake Champlain

#2 2016-03-30 07:08:00

Jeff

Re: Spinnaker Halyard for Mark I

To hazard a guess I would say that my spin halyard is 75'. Give or take a bit. I run mine back to the cockpit too. At the top I have some bracketery installed that keeps the spinnaker away from the genoa furler. I have it run through a cheek block at the top of the mast too.

Jeff
C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

[Our Forum software is older-generation and does not give good feedback when it's digesting a post. Please give it a minute before clicking 'Submit' a second time. Duplicate post is now deleted. - Admin]

Last edited by (2016-03-30 07:32:10)

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#3 2016-03-30 07:08:02

Jeff

To hazard a guess I would say that my spin halyard is 75'. Give or take a bit. I run mine back to the cockpit too. At the top I have some bracketery installed that keeps the spinnaker away from the genoa furler. I have it run through a cheek block at the top of the mast too.

Jeff
C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

Last edited by (2016-03-30 07:35:22)

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#4 2016-03-30 08:03:05

davidww1

This reminds me of the ancient joke about the two (insert nationality you want to insult here) guys who are told to measure the height of a flagpole. One says, "It's really light - let's just lower it and run a tape along it." The other answers, "No, dummy, he told us to measure the height, not the length. You'll have to climb it." And he does.

This problem is a lot easier. The Evolution page gives us the I and the J for a Mark I (33' and 11.75' - call it 12' for simplicity), so by simple geometry, the distance from masthead to the tack pin is 35.2'. Add another 33' to bring the halyard back down to the deck (68.2') plus the length of the boom, E or 10.5', to bring it back to the cockpit plus a bit (78.7'), then whatever fudge factor you think necessary. Done.

And there I couldn't see the point of high school math!

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2016-04-03 02:52:41

Brian Tivnan

Jeff - thanks for the tip on the brackets to avoid the furler.  Always helpful to hear from fellow Mark I owners. Makes the forum useful, despite the interference on the channel.
Brian Tivnan
Lake Champlain

Brian Tivnan
Lake Champlain

Board footer