C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-05-09 14:53:35

Brent

Windward Sheeting Car

I did a bit of searching in the archives on this one but I couldn't find the quick easy answer. For those who race Mk5s is Harken's "Small Boat" 3:1 windward sheeting system acceptable or will it blow apart during crash jibes?  Obviously the "Midrange" is more appealing for loads but "midrange" does not reflect the price!
Brent Driedger

S/V Wild Rover

C&C 27 MkV #15

Last edited by (2011-05-12 04:59:32)

Brent Driedger
S/V Wild Rover
C&C 27 MkV #15
;

#2 2011-05-10 00:50:02

Tonyj

Re: Windward Sheeting Car

Hi Brent:
I just bought the "Small boat" Harken traveler for my MkV.  Somewhere in their website I found a load calculator that recommended "small boat" as the correct size for our boats. I didn't buy the windward sheeting version.  I haven't installed it yet, so I can't comment on how it's working. 
Good Luck,

Tony

Last edited by (2011-05-12 04:59:54)

#3 2011-05-11 11:38:31

TomGr

I have the windward sheeting Harken on a 27 III and have used it for several  years, it holds up very well.
Awhile ago I saw a post from David W. (Towser) saying he did not like it, but I don't recall if he said why. Perhaps he might comment.

Tom Graham, Shelburne VT
"Monk" 27 Mk III

Last edited by (2011-05-12 05:00:05)

Tom Graham, Shelburne VT
"Monk" 27 Mk III

#4 2011-05-12 05:07:47

davidww1

We didn't like the windward sheeting car on Towser because the person on the mainsheet sits on the coaming forward of the helmsperson. Since that model of car didn't allow you to angle the cleats upward, it meant that the person handling the main had to bend double to get the crosshaul cleated. No one liked doing that. Moreover, it put the mainsheet person in a bad position with respect to leverage and the ability to heave on the line. The original (and now restored) set-up allows people to exert their full strength.

So if anyone wants to buy a windward sheeting kit for an original Harken mainsheet car...

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2011-05-12 05:08:23)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2011-05-18 01:29:02

wrapper

I have been using small boat on my MK111 for seven years and it was one of the "I want" items.

I upgraded with 2470 end cap block to give me 3:1 about four years ago.

I pull from the line from the car and do not quite understand David's situation.

I have wheel steering.
Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#6 2011-05-18 02:01:53

davidww1

That you have a wheel vs a tiller makes a big difference in how people dispose themselves around the cockpit while racing.

On a boat with a wheel, the main trimmer tends to stand in the cockpit just aft of the track during a tack or gybe to make any necessary adjustments; often the cam cleats are oriented aft, but whether athwartships or aft, it's relatively easy for the trimmer to exert sufficient strength to shift the car quickly.

On a boat with a tiller, the main trimmer tends to sit on the coaming beside the helmsperson. With our original/present setup, the trimmer moves the car simply by reaching down beside the coaming and pulling the line directly up or easing it down; he or she is well placed to exert a good solid pull. With the windward sheeting car, he or she had to bend almost double to exert a pull horizontal to the track, without which the line would not go in the cleat (and that's not changeable). The problem is redoubled when it's blowing; when the boat is lying on its ear, the poor main trimmer is fighting with the helmsperson for something to brace against while simultaneously bending double, which puts him or her in an unbalanced position with the head (his or hers) lower than the tail. Uncomfortable, ineffective and potentially dangerous. Everyone hated it, so I took it off.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2011-05-19 02:59:15)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer