C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2012-04-10 22:59:32

outdoor

How to Reach 4th Keel Bolt

So I've torqued 3 of the 4 keel bolts on my 1974 MKIII.  The forth bolt I have no idea how I would get at it since it is forward in the bilge under the floor in a narrow part of the bilge.  A torque wrench even if I could get it in the bilge would not have enough room to swing.

#2 2012-04-12 05:52:25

davidww1

Re: How to Reach 4th Keel Bolt

I have a hole in the sole directly above the bolt. It's just large enough for an extension, so you have to put that through, then reach under and attach the appropriate socket. Normally, the hole is closed off by the type of plastic plug used to cover fastener holes in the deckhead liner.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2012-04-17 01:14:42

mine is set the same way what i find interesting is the torque values seem real high i am afraid to torque them that hi for fear of stripping bolt so i just snug em down real good what do you find on yours david

#4 2012-04-17 08:17:23

davidww1

I didn't have access to a torque wrench that went into values like that so I just reefed them up. Probably really seriously overdid it, but the boat isn't complaining, so I don't think about it.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2012-04-23 03:29:07

outdoor

I don't have access directly above the most forward keel bolt.  I have redwood flooring on remainder of floor.

I just put in the boat last Friday.  So 2 summers ago, the last time I had it in the water I noticed a small leak at one of the keel bolts.  It did not seem to be much concern since I was told this can be common.  When I put it in Friday, went below emptied bildge past float, and could not really tell if major water was filling.  So Friday the bilge appeared to come on maybe every hour.

Then Saturday, though it rained all night and morning, it was coming on seemed like every 20 min.  It had stopped raining at that point.

So now I'm a bit worried as to where it is coming in.

#6 2022-05-10 14:48:32

mV

The forward keel bolt on the 1982 Mk IV is easily accessible from the forward port settee locker (at least on the particular boat I have).  This locker is open to the bilge and separated from it only by a board and two wood screws.

Board footer