C&C 27 Home Overview Evolution Sea Change – MkV Guide to Marks Black Arts The Fleet 27 Tales History of C&C Info & Events Links & Contacts Site Matters Join Us! Forum
A new sole
Towser's original sole looked as if someone had walked on it in golf shoes.
The old sole was taken out by cutting it at the half-bulkhead that defines the galley, then lifting it out fore-end first. This avoids what would otherwise be the need to remove the trim on the half-bulkhead that overlaps the sole. With the wood out, I made drain holes to the bilge at the foot of the ladder (drill-fill-drill) as there always seemed to be water between the wood and the glass sole.
I got a sheet of cabin-sole material (teak-&-holly veneer) from Noah's (see Links), then used the old sole as a template, matching the shape and the bevels on the underside precisely (it's a tight fit). The bilge hatch was carefully cut from within the sheet. If I had to do it again, I would position the holly lines away from the saw cut. I gave the finished piece three coats, both sides, of a penetrating epoxy from System Three and a couple of coats of UV-resistant urethane. After six seasons, it still looks good.
The galley area I filled with a flexible rubbery material that is normally used on cockpit soles. It's the same thickness as the ply, drains easily and can be removed for cleaning. White is less than ideal, but I liked the other colors less. – David Weatherston