C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2006-03-22 06:40:22

wrapper

Indigo Propeller - Any experience

I am considering a new propeller - I've heard some good things about the Indigo. 

My biggest issue is with prop walk in reverse.  My boat is very hard to dock in reverse.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about third party props? Especially on C&C 27 MK III.  I am running an Atomic-4

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Last edited by (2006-03-31 03:32:21)

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#2 2006-03-30 21:11:04

KenPole

Re: Indigo Propeller - Any experience

At the recommendation of a friend who has one, I bought the Indigo prop for my Mark III last summer. It significantly reduces (but does not eliminate) prop walk.
Ken Pole
1975 Mark III Santiva
Ottawa

Last edited by (2006-03-31 03:32:39)

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#3 2006-07-03 00:40:43

wrapper

Just an update - My new Indigo propeller substantially reduced prop walk in reverse.  Reverse is no longer a challenge.
Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 51

[Thanks for the update. This type of followup to a question dramatically increases the worth of the Forum to all. - Admin]

Last edited by (2006-07-03 01:33:10)

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#4 2006-08-27 03:01:10

Hello Ken, I hope you are well, just an add-on question regarding the preformance of the indigo prop. Has it also reduced vibration when motoring? I am encountering fairly strong vibrations when motoring (increasing as the RPMs get higher). I realize that it could also coming from an out of balance shaft.
cheers
heinz

#5 2006-08-27 04:14:22

KenPole

There was a very slight increase in vibration, i.e. a "beat" felt mainly through the wheel, but I think it's simply the result of having an "extra" blade on the shift. Did you check the condition of your cutless bearing when you replaced the prop? That might be the source of your "strong" vibration rather than a misalignment, which likely would have been evident with the original two-blader. Good luck. Keep me/us posted.
Ken Pole
1975 Mark III Santiva
Ottawa

[Additional blades are usually considered to run smoother - three-blades should produce less vibration than a two-blade, not more. If the power train was smooth-running with a 2-blade and became rough with three, suspect the prop (one blade at a different pitch or circumference, damaged edge, etc). Beyond that, there are a number of possible causes for vibration under power including (in order of probability) mis-alignment of engine and shaft, worn cutless bearing and/or shaft and unstraight shaft. Any of the causes noted above is likely to be a 'pre-existiing' condition (what's a post-existing condition - and if it doesn't exist, why do we need 'pre-existing'?), caused over time and unlikely to show up suddenly unless the change of prop has exacerbated it.- Admin]

Last edited by (2006-08-28 00:07:21)

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#6 2006-08-28 07:03:31

Thanks Ken, forgot to mentioned that I still have the original two blade prop. As for the cutless bearing, is this something that can be checked while the boat is in the water or do I have to wait till haulout?
cheers
heinz

#7 2006-08-28 07:21:59

KenPole

Cutless bearing is the rubber lining of the shaft strut. It's an out-of-the-water job and if done while things are still wet shouldn't be much of a problem. If yours hasn't been done to your knowledge, I think you'll find it worthwhile to replace it. Maybe others have some thoughts on this. Check the subject list.
Ken Pole
1975 Mark III Santiva
Ottawa

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#8 2006-08-28 08:25:56

foroadmin
Administrator

You can check the bearing in the water - just dive under the boat and shake the prop shaft. If it feels at all loose in the p-bracket, the bearing is worn. Replacing it is a haulout job - not particularly difficult but demands a lot of rather tedious effort. It's helpful to have a special tool to put in the new one, but if you don't have it, you can make something just as effective for a few dollars.

Board footer