C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-04-07 12:49:52

Performance in a chop

Jim Wente, in another post, says that the Mark V performs better in a choppy sea than the Mark I-IV models.  I've heard this from another source, too.  I would expect on general principles that a shorter, lighter, flatter, and proportionately fatter boat would do worse in those conditions.  Anyone have a theory why the Mark V does better, or wish to dispute the claim?
Bob, MkV Heatwave

#2 2004-04-08 04:47:42

Re: Performance in a chop

One of the problems with discussing going to windward in chop is that you have to take in consideration all of the variables that can occur at one time.  I have a 1975 MKlll that handles chop very differently than other boats I have sailed. Even then, you will find variations from boat to boat of the same type due to sail differences and weight balance.  The biggest challenge to to qualify the skippers ability and at best this is very sublte.

The best example I can give is someone who sails off the close hauled a few degrees more than another skipper... he goes a bit faster but travels a bit farther, and on any given day can beat the skipper who has the boat strapped in tight and is trying his best to maintain the close hauled status.  I have often sailed against bigger boats that are poorly trimmed to achieve their objective of getting to the windward mark first and have beaten them to windward. Down wind is waterline length.

I would suggest in a fleet of 27's that they go out together sail a windward leeward course in a choppy condition with one boat sailing off slightly and qualify the results......

You just have to sail your boat and only your boat. 

Best of the coming sailing season.

"IRIS"
C&C 27 MKlll
Kittery Point, Maine

Board footer