C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-04-13 09:19:15

The I Sail Measurement

Is the I sail measurement the length of the mast?  A PHRF web site (<A href="http://www.nstya.com/ratings/sailmeas.htm) %20or">http://www.nstya.com/ratings/sailmeas.htm) </A> describes it as the foreside of the mast from the main deck "datum" to the top of the Jib halyard sheave. The height of the deck used as datum for "I" shall be taken as 4% of beam above the shear line abreast of the mast.
I really don't know what they mean and I'm trying to figure out the I measurement in case I  find a high tech 3DL super kevlar sail in someone's basement.  I'm also suspicious that my rig is a MK I on a MKII boat.
Thanks,
Bruce Peever #381 Scalliwag

#2 2004-04-13 13:50:21

TalW

Re: The I Sail Measurement

Wow!  That's a very confusing description of "I"!  Here's how PHRF - Lake Ontario describes it:

"the distance from the deck (or estimated level of the deck) at the mast up to the intersection of the headstay with the forward face of the mast".

Another way I've heard is to imagine that I's top measurement is where the headstay meets the front of the mast & the bottom measurement is (the theoretical spot) where a perpendicular line is drawn back from where the forestay meets the deck to the face of the mast.

The key here is that either of all 3 of these definitions result in a lower measurement point that falls somewhere about 4"-6" below the mast step!  So the quick answer to your question is "NO, I is not the length of your mast!".

If you're not sure whether you've got a Mk I or II rig, a tape measure should quickly ease (or confirm!) your fears.  I'd suggest the mast lengths should be somewhere around 32'6" & 34'6" respectively...

Cheers,
Tal  ../)../)..

#3 2004-04-18 23:23:57

Not so quick!
I have a Mark I, hull number 208, which has a "tall rig", my I measurement is 34'6".  I have two sidestays and a babystay plus all the other characteristic Mk I features.
The easy measure is to pull a tape to the top (with a downhaul line) on a halyard, and measure to the chainplate.  This will likely be about 6-8 inches too long.
To get a more accurate number, do the above measurement but to the base of the mast. Add the distance from where the tape was attached to the "stop" which topped out at the masthead.  Next, run a line from the the mast base to the forestay, using a level to keep it level, and measure the drop distance to the forestay attachment.  Add this.  This should be real close, and allow you to use the specifications on this website to figure out which rig you have.
Any good sailmaker will still want the actual measurements!
Warren Smith

#4 2004-04-19 04:58:36

TalW

You say po-"teh"-to and I'll say po-"tah"-to!

Warren, my comments were geared towards the standard rig configurations of the Mark's I and II as described in the "Overview" and "Evolution" sections of this website.  Some people (and other PHRF regions) refer to what's known here as a Mk II as a Mk I tall rig, what's a Mk III as a Mk II, and as a Mk IV as a Mk III.  None of this applies to your specific boat!

If your rig has single lower shrouds and a babystay, then it is not a standard factory rig, and becomes a red herring when discussing heights and configurations of the various models.  The standing rigging is not a standard configuration (since there's a babystay), so who's to say whether or not the rig height has also been altered...

One other comment - "Any good sailmaker" should not "want" the actual measurements, but rather should come to your boat to ensure the accuracy and completeness of measurements and other required info.  Having too much experience with ill-fitting sails when first delivered, I would not consider purchasing another sail from a loft who either don't know my boat personally or haven't already made sails for it in the past...

Cheers,
Tal Wolf  ../)../)..
Critical Path, 1976 C&C 27 Mk III #632

#5 2004-04-19 07:02:15

Tal,
Based on serial numbers, my #208 should be a Mk I.  I have  the papers from the sailmaker for the original set of sails (C&C27 Tall Rig), and those measurements are current.  Also, I have seen another C&C 27 with this same standing rigging.  The babystay essentially replaced the forward lowers.  The lower shrouds are aft of the uppers and on a separate chainplate.  Looking at the condition of  the vessel when I acquired it, there is no doubt in my mind that this setup is factory original.  This vessel and the other like it both came with staysails also.
Warren Smith

Board footer