C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-05-04 13:23:50

New Owner, back stay attachment points

Hi Folks,

I'm a new owner of a "new" C&C 27 Mk V. Can't describe how excited I am to get in to the season with our "new" "big" boat. After three summers on a Tanzer 22 with two kids and a golden retriever, this should seem like spacious luxery.

I  wanted to ask those of you with experience if the attachment points for the adjustable back stay have been a problem. Things look OK on the boat but they don't seem to be the most robust  points to anchor the backstay. I really wonder why they didn't anchor the standing rigging to normal chain plates rather than these little "D-rings" on that out board flange of the joint.

Any one had any problems/made any design improvements here?

Thanks,

Robert
Lake Winnipeg

#2 2004-05-04 14:15:21

Re: New Owner, back stay attachment points

Robert, I am a little unclear about which "D rings" you are talking about, but if I understand you, the split backstay on the Mark V does *not* attach to them.  Rather, the backstay ends attach via shackles to holes in the cast aluminum corner brackets that are continuations of the toe rails.  The corner brackets are very robust fittings.  The little D-rings on the transom flange are for attaching the tackle for the adjustable backstay tension.  These D-rings are required to accept much less load than the backstay wires.  I hope this helps.  If you like, I could email you a picture of the correct attachment points.
Bob, S/V Heatwave
This photo shows the correct way to attach the backstay and the backstay adjuster block.

Last edited by (2004-05-07 04:21:37)

#3 2004-05-17 12:09:11

Hi Robert, I have the same U bolts on the flange as you do. My Mark V is a 1984 and my friends is a 85. I wish we had those nice corner fittings like Heatwave Bob had on his boat. (I had them on my previous boat, C&C 25-1). I bought this boat last year and have had a "redo" planned (next year). My friend DID do the REDO on his boat.... He cut out thru the flange and then thru-bolted 2 "chainplates" to the transom. They are tilted inward and stick out the top enough to attach the backstays to. Much better plan AND it looks pretty sharp too!

#4 2004-05-19 23:40:57

John,
Thanks for your reply. After seeing what heatwave had (much nicer set-up) I believed my "new" boat was missing original fittings. I since heard from a former Mk V (1984) off the sailnet list who'd had the same U-bolts and claims to have had no problems despie racing the boat for a decade. This was reassuring but I'd still contemplate modifying to convential chainplates like you described.

I think I go with the current arrangement this year. Seems it was ok for the first 20 years of the boat's life. Probably look at adopting chain plates to the transom as an off-season project.

Thanks again,

Robert

Board footer