C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-07-08 13:07:15

smino

Looking for an AMP Meter for C&C Mark III

Where can I find an AMP meter for a MArk III?

#2 2010-07-09 03:52:17

wrapper

Re: Looking for an AMP Meter for C&C Mark III

Moyer Marine has them.  Most auto supply stores have them too.  Just make sure they are the correct diameter -- usually 2 1/8 inch diameter

I took mine out and put in a volt meter and eliminated two very long wires that carried much of the boat current.  As long as the engine is running, the voltage should be 12.5 to 13.5 volt and I know the alternator is working.
Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

Allan
Cygnus
C&C 27 Hull 518

#3 2010-07-11 02:51:56

windyday

Do you mean for an engine ignition panel, or for the battery charging system? Blue Sea makes nice units for the latter. I installed a Blue Sea DC breaker panel with digital ammeter when I rewired last year. That allowed me to ditch the ammeter on the ignition panel and replace it with a voltmeter instead, as well as simplify the charging system and shorten wire runs.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#4 2010-07-11 04:24:06

Re ammeter replacement. Alan's suggestions has merit. However, if you wish to stick with the traditional instruments the range of the ammeter needs to be considered. The Stewart Warner ammeter from Moyer Marine has a range of + or - 60 amps. Unless you are running a lot of appliances at one time eg. lights, radios, fridge, colour chart plotter, and much more you will never see the needle move. The basic Mk 111 system only draws 7.2 amps with everything on, 14.4 when starting the engine and this is the only time you will see the needle move.  The alternator pumps back 9.2 amps with the engine running. Moyer sells an ISSPRO ammeter with a range of + or - 40 amps which is still too gross for measuring low amperage. The voltage gauge change out makes more sense unless you can find a 21/8" gauge with chrome bazel with a range of + or - 20 amps. I have not locate one sofar in my search.
Brian
C&CMk111 Hull 456

Board footer