C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2010-10-20 06:52:51

ahandford

C&C MK1 Bridge Clearance?

Ahoy all I am sailing my 1971 C&C 27 MK1 "Duke Of Earl" South down the Chesapeake Bay and need to know the actual bridge clearance. Will I fit under a 35ft clearance bridge? I am trying to decide if I can get into the Lynnhaven Inlet in Virginia Beach so I can anchor in Broad Bay while visiting my family.
Thanks
Alan

Alan Handford

#2 2010-10-21 00:09:21

oasis

Re: C&C MK1 Bridge Clearance?

Have a look at general specification under guide to makrks.  It says there that I = 33 feet.  Don't think you can make it.

#3 2010-10-21 23:51:31

Ed

Do not be confused by the prior post. The "I" measurement is from the jib halyard masthead sheave to the cabin top. It does not include the short measurement to the masthead, any instruments or antennas, nor does it include the measurement from the waterline to the cabin top. I recall the Mk I bridge clearance to be 38 feet. Do not rely on others. Measure the "I" and the hight of the cabin top at the mast step to the waterline and then add extra for antennas, etc.

#4 2010-10-22 01:02:39

ahandford

Thank you! You have been extremely helpful.
Alan

Alan Handford

#5 2010-10-22 01:31:16

ALAN FORD

Alan, just to add to your calculations you need to take into account the state of the tide. There is a 1 to 3 foot variance in tidal range in the Chesapeake, higher near the South/ocean end, and there is a small but real variance due to steady winds. Days of winds with a Southerly component causes higher water levels. The reverse is also true. It's an estuary thing.....
Good luck.
Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Board footer