C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2013-02-25 16:27:31

Anna69

Plate under steering binnacle

Hi folks,

I'm doing some repairs to my CC27 mark III and been poking under the cockpit floor looking at the steering components and while it looks pretty good the metal plate it rusting and swelling in some areas. I've put rust converter on it which seems to do the trick but wondering if anyone has replaced the plate and if it is a big job. So far this winter I have replaced some rotten core, changed a few keel bolt nuts that had some corrosion, did some wiring and beefed up the bow under the windlass. And just wondering if I should tackle the steering.

Thanks
Russ

Russ Arnott
C&C 27 Mark III
Vancouver Island

#2 2013-02-25 23:29:29

clanning

Re: Plate under steering binnacle

Steel?  Really?  Is this common?

If you had said the plywood is rotting, OK, I'd buy that, but I'm surprised if it's regular steel.

Anyhow if it's weak, the loads will crack the cockpit sole.  Maybe a replacement is due soon.  Aluminum works well, you could use stainless (but that may be overkill), plywood is fine if you seal it with epoxy -- completely, including the holes that you drill in it, or G10 board is awesome, too.

Cheers,

Chuck
Chuck Lanning
NSC, Ottawa

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

#3 2013-02-27 00:12:00

dmartis

Russ

Do you mean the steel backing plate below the binnacle that contains the cable pulleys for the wheel steer? I just had my cockpit sole recored, which involved removing the binnacle completely.  Taking the binnacle off was easy, since 3 of the 4 aluminum bolts Edson provides were corroded right through. There was a large steel backing plate where these bolts fasten to, which also contains the wheel steer pulleys.  Its in my garage awaiting a good dose of Tremclad. 

If its rusting that bad, probably worth it to pull the binnacle if you have one and rebed all the penetrations.  Mine was very poorly bedded, and of course the holes weren't potted.

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

#4 2013-02-27 01:43:21

clanning

Ah, got it.  I understand what and why it is now.

Agree, if its that bad, you need to fix it up before it fails while underway.
Chuck Lanning
NSC, Ottawa

Chuck Lanning
C&C 27 Mk V, Chivas & Champagne
NSC, Ottawa

#5 2013-02-27 03:42:30

Anna69

Thanks Dan. That is the plate I am referring to. Would you be able to take a picture of yours and email it to me?  I want to see what I am up against. Do you think If I was to pull everything out and replace the plate it would be a big job?  My cockpit floor is fine (unlike the bow core that I am replacing!).

Cheers
Russarnott@gmail.com

Russ Arnott
C&C 27 Mark III
Vancouver Island

#6 2013-02-27 03:47:56

dmartis

I'll try to get a picture of the plate when I start painting it.  It is a fairly big job, but worthwhile if you're certain the core is in good condition.  You need to disconnect the throttle and shift cables, disconnect the steering cables from teh quadrant, and then have someone help you unbolt the pedestal bolts.  The stainless frames also need to be disconnected - I'm replacing the pedestal fee as the old plastic ones were cracked.  Thankfully Edson has a new and improved (and very expensive) replacement part for the pedestal feet. 

Not a small job, but worth while for keeping things dry and intact.

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

#7 2013-02-27 22:03:15

Kilroy

Check your steering cables. As you disconnected the steering cable see if they cross in the pedestal. When I put mine back together I was unaware that they cross and when the boat was launched, I looked like a drunken sailor because every thing is reversed.
Tim ,Windsor On.
"Oui R One"
C&C 27 MK III  511

Tim ,Windsor On.
"Oui R One"
C&C 27 MK III  511

#8 2013-03-15 10:25:32

Anna69

Hi Dan

Decided to remove the idler under the pedestal. Good thing too as it was really bad, ordering a new aluminum one without the sheaves, mine are good and saves me $$.  Spring is here on Vancouver Island and looking forward to launch date soon. Thanks for your info.

Cheers
Russ

Russ Arnott
C&C 27 Mark III
Vancouver Island

Board footer