C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2013-03-16 12:34:31

whippet

Core Moisture from Leaking Genoa Tracks

Hi.   I have been through David W's thoughtful piece in Black Arts on Genoa Track replacement and repacking balsa core w epoxy around hardware fasteners.

Problem that I have is much more extensive moisture and balsa decay.

Approach taken so far is to cut a series of rectangles (about 4 inches long by 1/2 in. wide) in the deck under where the G-track is to be re-bedded.     Through these rectangles, and a variety of adhoc tools, i have been able to dig out old, wet, decayed balsa, in some cases leading me to excavate 4 inches or more from the track location.

I will spend more more hours digging, and eventually plan to refill deck cavities with epoxy (i feel like a dentist dealing with some really bad teeth).

Questions for you are:
1) Is this approach "good enough"?   I assume after refilling core, epoxy mixture will certainly be lots stronger than rotten balsa (or air).  The C&C wont be used for high stress racing, but don't want G-track to go flapping in 15 knots of wind on weekend cruise.  Cosmetics are not high priority.
2) Fishing through the rectangles to extract old balsa is not perfect.    What is risk of leaving some wet/decayed balsa some inches from G-tracks.   I assume highest forces will be near G-tracks, not inches away.

Thanks Gents
Steve
TS&CC, 1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Toronto ON

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

#2 2013-03-25 14:18:15

Anna69

Re: Core Moisture from Leaking Genoa Tracks

Hi Steve,

I am just completing a winter project of removing wet core from various areas on my 1976 mark III 27ft. I found that when you think it's just a small wet area it turns out to be much more. The best tool I found to remove the Fibreglass and to cut out the wet balsa is a vibrating multi-craft tool by mastercraft...best $35 I have spent. Keep cutting back and remove all the wet stuff...it will be worth it when you're done.

Good luck
Russ

Russ Arnott
C&C 27 Mark III
Vancouver Island

#3 2013-03-25 22:58:36

foroadmin
Administrator

This site responds slowly at times, which makes its relative lack of feedback to button-clicking make it appear that it hasn't "heard" you when you click the Submit button. The solution is to be patient, not to click repeatedly; this just clogs the works with duplicate posts -- in this case, three of them. If you do click twice or more, intentionally or not, please check the thread and delete any duplicates yourself.
- Admin

#4 2013-03-25 23:54:27

whippet

Thanks Russ

My intent is to take the lazy way out, at least for this year, since I have limited winterizing time available.   I'm trying to keep cuts to area under Genoa tracks, and thus opening up a series of “rectangles”  and then digging as far back as possible with ad hoc digging tools.
Despite wet core, there is no sign of de-lamination -- although some hairline shallow spider web cracks on surface.

Question i'm pondering if dig and fill is “strong enough”? I can dig out at least 3 inches or so away from G-tracks in bad spots.     Have to believe that it will be stronger than last few seasons.
Thanks again
Steve

Steve
TS&CC, 1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Toronto ON

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

Board footer