C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2022-01-09 21:01:47

jmlyness

Mainsail

Happy 2022,

A couple of questions for everyone I am looking for a new mainsail for my 1984 27' C&C Mark V and considering a sail from South East Asia (S.E.A.) Sails (Thailand) Co Ltd (Rolly Trasker) and looking for general info on the service and quality of this outfit. The prices seem much more reasonable than any of the local outfits otherwise I would consider buying local.
I am also looking for any feedback or advice about if I should buy radial-cut vrs. cross-cut,  full batten or short batten mainsail. Any help would be appreciated about the pros/cons of each style sail. I do not have a lazy jack setup and I am a recreational coastal sailor and not a racer.  Thanks

John Lyness
1984 C&C 27 Mark V My Fair Ladies
Salem Willows Yacht Club
Salem MA

#2 2022-01-10 00:46:03

pablorusjan

Re: Mainsail

When I bought my MkV in the year 2009, it had one year old dacron sails Rolly Tasker which were imported from abroad  by the previous owner. I know that because the customs documents were in the boat.

Fourteen years later (some of them of intensive use), the main sail still works (I added a 3rd row of reef points in 2018), the 170% looks like new (barely used) (both were rescued with minimal damage after I was dismasted in 2016). The 155% was damaged after a few squalls in 2019. But it was very weakened because I rolled it in the wrong direction in the furling for a few years (it means I protected the UV filter with the sail!). In summary they are durable sails if you are going to cruise. 

If you are going to race, probably there are better options around. I am moving now to higher profile brands. Moreover, I like the concept of having a closer relationship with the sailmaker. I will inform in 14 years the results. Another detail, for unknown reasons, my Rolly Tasker main sail is very small ( 94% of the standard in the PHRF-LO). It does not touch the backstay as I heard the racing sails should touch. If you are going to order you may want to check the dimensions that you would like. My main sail is crosscut with standard battens. But again for performance oriented sails I would prefer to have a closer relationship with a local sailmaker.

Regards

Pablo

Last edited by pablorusjan (2022-01-10 00:47:59)

S/V Mystic
MkV #138

#3 2022-01-23 20:27:58

jmlyness

Re: Mainsail

Thanks for your reply Pablo

John Lyness
1984 C&C 27 Mark V My Fair Ladies
Salem Willows Yacht Club
Salem MA

Board footer