C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2022-03-17 02:04:03

StevenMac

Mark III Resurrection Underway

Hello all,

I just purchased a 1976 C&C 27 that has been sitting unused for two years. Of course, I will have many questions. In spite of its neglect, the boat has a few things going for it. Canvas is good, including dodger and pedestal cover. Roller furling. Decent Sails (Quantum). Seems like before it started being neglected it was well cared for, things like the wiring and standing rigging having been redone around 2016.

This is not my first sailboat, but it is my first with an inboard (A4). My first task is the motor. The PO pulled the carburetor off for maintenance and managed to break the copper fuel line from the electric fuel pump to the carb. Then, well I guess life happened, because he never put it back together. The motor turns over by hand. Compression is perhaps a bit low but even across all cylinders, which tells me the valves aren't stuck. Before I reassemble the fuel line and carb I want to eliminate all of the 2-year-old gasoline so I'm not introducing it to the engine. The plumbing on top of the gas tank looks somewhat barbaric, and the shut-off valve is rusted open. IF I can get this Atomic 4 running, and think I can trust it for several hours, I can avoid having the boat towed. I need to move it out of the PO's slip by the end of the month. So, I'm looking for guidance on evacuating the tank, perhaps updating the fixtures exiting the tank, reinstalling the carb, and not getting blown up.

THANKS!

-Steven

Last edited by StevenMac (2022-03-17 13:14:40)

1976 C&C 27 Mark III, A4

#2 2022-03-17 13:42:35

StevenMac

Re: Mark III Resurrection Underway

Another thought that just occurred to me: perhaps I could disconnect the fuel line at the filter and run a line from there to an auxiliary fuel tank, like for an outboard. The purpose would be to test out running the engine with new, clean gas before I start getting into all that business with the inboard fuel tank and lines. Thoughts on this?

1976 C&C 27 Mark III, A4

#3 2022-03-19 08:28:08

pablorusjan

Hello Steven,

I have never seen an Atomic 4 in my life. But seeing that you are anxious about starting to play with your engine I can speak about my amateur experience with my jeep ZJ 97 4.0L.

I did not use my ZJ for 5 years, and one day I decided to turn it on, just to check. I read on the internet and saw videos on YouTube and I found that people suggested changing the oil and the fuel. I started to think about the mess of changing the fuel as you are doing now. I imagined the situation, and at the end, I decided to change only the oil. I put new a cheap oil and a new oil filter. I took a fire extinguisher in one hand (just in case), the keys of the car in the other, and the old Jeep started nicely at the first attempt. No need to change the fuel. 

If you are worried about water condensation in the fuel tank, again in my amateur opinion without deep knowledge, perhaps you can use fuel antifreeze (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cert … 2311p.html). I used occasionally that preemptively in both my old ZJ and my Yanmar 1GM10 in my MkV.

Just to share my experience,

Regards,

Pablo

S/V Mystic
MkV #138

#4 2022-03-26 16:15:15

StevenMac

Well, I got the motor running yesterday. The next thing I'll tackle is a leaking forward hatch. Could anyone give me information on what hatch would be fitted to a Mark III? Just want to find the appropriate gasket. Thanks.

1976 C&C 27 Mark III, A4

#5 2022-03-27 16:08:46

TalW

Forward hatches for all Mk IIIs came from Aktins & Hoyle.  Still in business with parts and technical advice available.  Not cheap but it sure is nice to have them still in business.  They also do hatch rebuilds - I just had the midships hatch on our 35 MKII refurb'd and it looks like new again.

https://www.atkinshoyle.com/

Cheers!

Board footer