C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2022-07-04 21:17:51

jmlyness

Replacement Mast

Excuse me if this topic has been discussed before but if anyone has any suggestions on how or where to secure a replacement mast for a 1984 C&C 27' Mark V  I would appreciate it. While I was out sailing Friday my mast snapped at the spreaders luckily no injuries or major damage to the boat. Not sure what will happen with my insurance or if I need an exact replacement mast. Any information about what I should do now would be appreciated. My boat is located in Salem, MA.

John Lyness
1984 C&C 27 Mark V My Fair Ladies
Salem Willows Yacht Club
Salem MA

#2 2022-07-05 19:31:56

pablorusjan

Re: Replacement Mast

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your accident and happy to know that nobody was injured.
My MkV and I went through the same experience a few years ago: Mast broken at spreaders.
I was able to rescue the parts of the mast, practically all the rigging and sails (with minor damages) from the water. It was positive not only to save the sails but also for helping with the insurance investigation. Basically, the insurance sent a marine surveyor to determine the reasons of the accident.

Do not panic, do not rush looking for alternatives, wait for the insurance verdict.
Best of luck,

Pablo

Ps: ask again if unfortunately needed.

S/V Mystic
MkV #138

#3 2022-07-06 17:39:33

jmlyness

Pablo,
Thanks very much for your reply. Stay tuned and I will let you know how I make out. I am really hoping to save my boat and find another mask

John Lyness
1984 C&C 27 Mark V My Fair Ladies
Salem Willows Yacht Club
Salem MA

#4 2022-07-11 14:20:54

Superior Blue

jmlyness - Start checking in your area for used sailboats parts.  We have a person in Wisconsin who has been salvaging sailboats, and I know he has some masts.  I needed the long connector (NLA) for a Harken roller furling system, and was able to purchase a complete used roller furling unit from him.  Had to by the whole system, but at least I got the part.  And a lot of spare Harken parts! 

PM me for his contact information.  If he can't help you, he may know of other sailboat salvagers in your area.  Otherwise start calling around to various yards. 

Good luck!

Phil Peterson
Superior Blue
1973 C&C 27 Mk II
Bayfield, WI

Board footer