C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2005-03-19 00:54:07

Diesel owners manuals?/ Water in fuel tank? MKV

I will be taking delivery of my newly purchased 1988 MKV (aka Wave) soon (signed deal in Jan, had it surveyed, but no way to test engine),(its buried amongst numerous other boats on cradles at the previous owners club) and I would appreciate any advice on the following concerns...... I should point out that the boat I've purchased has probably suffered from more "lack of use" rather than "abuse" ( ie yard mechanic says he only saw the boat used once/twice all last season).............. also little in the way of paperwork or manuals came with boat.
1)My engine is a Universal M12 (2 cylinder /12hp). I've searched the web,but can't seem to find any manuals for this engine ............buts lots for Westerbeck/Atomic 4 etc................any ideas on where to look /buy one would be a great help.
I want to know the correct start/stop/shifting procedures, as well as correct winter protection plan and spring launch procedures to follow..........I thing previous owner just told the yard staff "fix it and send him the bill"..............but for me "I'm the kind of guy that DOSEN'T LIKE surprises"...........although I'm not a mechanic, I just like the peace of mind in knowing what/where every wire/ nut and bolt go and what they do!!!!

2) After reading with great interest, all of the posts here,(its been a great learning experience by the way), I'm now very concerned about things on this boat that have not been tended to as I think they should have.
On my visit to "check" the boat last week (its tented) I noticed the fuel gauge says 1/2 full. From your articles, condensation comes to mind!!! Is there a procedure to drain /clean the tank to make 100% it's going to be reliable going forward......not sure I want to rely on any of the previous owners comments.I suspect the fuel is quite old given that the yard mechanic says about last summers usage
This is my first experience with an inboard, a diesel, and a C&C, and I want this to be a POSITIVE summer experience.  I don't need the "surprise" of being stuck on Lake Ontario or in the swift current of the Thousand Islands with NO engine when "I need it the most"......................Thanks to everyone - Warren
PS: My previous boat was a CS-22.....I'm 6'1", and just got tired of "walking on my knees" in the cabin.............

Last edited by (2005-03-19 00:56:33)

#2 2005-03-19 08:55:13

pura vida

Re: Diesel owners manuals?/ Water in fuel tank? MKV

Warren,
If Universal is anything like Yanmar the manual will be about as detailed as the sales flyer. Consider buying Nigel Calders "Marine Diesel Engines". It will provide you with theory that the 'tear down and rebuild' books like Seloc, Clymers or Haynes will not. Then pick up a engine specific manual, try Torresen Marine. As for water in the fuel you can check for that by sampling some fuel into a clear drinking glass or if your filter has a clear filter cup it will show up there. You may want to find out if the fuel had any biocide added prior to storage. Bugs are harder to cure than water. Also consider getting some references from other boaters for a good diesel mechanic, one that will check out the system and give you a guided tour. The peace of mind will be worth the cost of the house call.
Mike M
SV Pura Vida
Galveston  Bay

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#3 2005-03-20 13:14:28

I believe there is a Wave 26 registered out of Detroit (DRYA) but I do not know the owner. This boat has a shorter rig and a shorter keel than most C&C 27 MKV's.
Regards
Cameron
C&C MKV Sail#575
Windsor, Ontario

#4 2005-03-20 22:25:16

Speaking from experience . . .
Fuel condition and battery power are the two most critical issues with diesels.  Change the oil and buy new batteries.  But most of all - diesel fuel is cheap!  Change it all out and condition the system. 
I would - without hesitation - first pump the tank out completely (dispose of the old fuel properly) - then add a few gallons to clean flush, pump that out.  Add some more new fuel, change all filters, and bleed the engine - providing new fuel in all lines. Then fill up with new clean diesel WITH BIOCIDE (diesel fuel conditioner).
I would do all of this before I even attempted to first crank the engine.   
Warren Smith
Serendipity
Galveston Bay, Texas

#5 2005-03-21 01:09:44

Mike/Cameron/Warren.................thanks "again" for your very helpful advice!!!! You were correct, Torresen Marine has a complete "M12" manual on their web site. I've just printed it..............it will make interesting reading tonite with the fireplace going and the wind and snow howling outside. ................gonna grab my parka now and head over to the boat and shovel some more snow off the deck.
I'll probably have more questions when I return..................Thanks again Warren

#6 2005-03-23 09:29:29

Warren , I liked all your suggestions.
I took a good look at my engine compartment yesterday(temp actually got above freezing during the day), crawled down into the starboard locker, put my left leg behind my right ear and sat on my right leg(was actually quite comfortable, until both legs went to sleep).
My fuel tank is a cube measuring about 18'' on all sides (10 gal US). It's 1/2 full (if gauge correct), and held in place by 3 self tapping screws through a tab at the front and the same arrangement at the rear.
I figure I could just disconnect the 4 hoses at the top(1 fuel fill, 1 vent, 1 fuel pump feed, 1 return feed) as well as the wires to the gauge sensor and simply remove the whole thing fuel and all. This way I could "rince and shake" several times to make sure all/any crude comes out. This will also now give me "room" to scrub and repaint the battery box area as well as the fuel tank area (lots of mold/mildew stains/ spilled oil stains etc.)
Is there any problem with leaving the fuel in the tank as I remove it? I won't be using any power tools or trouble lights.............it just looks like it will be fairly straight forward except for a little "grunt work".
My only other concern is that it's still sooooo cold here. The black fuel hoses are "awful hard".........I'm afraid they may just "crack" if I try to force them off their respective fittings just let, but if I wait for another 2-3 weeks I should be "ok"
Warren

#7 2005-03-23 22:40:06

Warren (what a name!)
This may sound silly, but it works.  You can but the "heat packs" designed to be put in a microwave and heated up to treat sore muscles/joints etc. Available at local drug store.  They usually come with an elastic velcro-catch strap so you can easily affix to the offending cold rubber hose.  If you have electricity at your yard, tote the nukin' machine (microwave) with you and buy a couple of heat packs at the local drugstore on the way.  That and a six pack of suitable beverage would likely make the exercise tolerable.  A safe and sane way to apply heat where needed.
Warren Smith
Serendipity
Galveston Bay, Texas

#8 2005-03-24 01:27:17

A couple of comments on "old diesel tanks" and the stuff therein:  In the "tropics" we deal with a different set of problems than those in frigid areas---generally a good rule is: if the fuel is 6 mo. old---get rid of it.  If it has a birthday in your tank ---expect big trouble.  One can treat diesel with any number of biocides to restrict or prevent growth of creatures in the tank---BIOBORE is one of the best .  A word of caution here----if a little is good---more is better----not true.  If you can steam clean your tank---thats the way to go.  If you treat the existing fuel---do not---I repeat---do not---overtreat.  Shocking the existing fuel isnt necessary----however----Shocking the tank will have long term effects----in that---the crud---that has attached itself to the tank surfaces---doesnt just "jump" off into your waiting filter---it detaches itself slowly, over a period of weeks/months.  A day of rough weather might provide for an emergency filter change at an undesireable time.  Granted, that cold weather prevents , or slows down, some of the contamination from algea---however, I've moved boats from up north to florida that have had unsalvagable fuel tanks---except for the steam cleaning option.Dave Tinder
DAWN BREAKER  Mk3
Ft Myers

#9 2005-03-24 05:07:41

Dave is absolutely right on that - and I will add one piece of advice. 
After about 4 years of running a diesel powered boat, I finally did the right thing - put in two (spin-on) filters - PARALLEL!!!!  This is in addition to the water separator of course.  The valving and connections are not that hard, and in the event of a serious fuel problem - turn a few valves and keep going - while a crewmember starts changing filters.  I always carried 4 spares and once used them all to get in.
As you know, when IT happens, you will be in a crowded channel going against the wind and current in heavy traffic.
Warren Smith
Serendipity
Galveston Bay, Texas

Last edited by (2005-03-24 05:10:53)

#10 2005-03-24 08:24:25

Warren, Dave..................thanks again for the tips..............Warren

#11 2005-03-25 04:21:51

Warren, et al----I once saw a USCG vessel with twin 671's.  They had rigged parallel fuelfilter/seperators on both engines.  In addirion, they used parallel raw water strainers on each.  Whether or not they used parallel raw water through hull fittings and strainers--I dont' know.  Point is: For all us old guys---think back about the number of "events" we've encountered where this type of installation could have increased our comfort level considerably.  In any case---twisting a couple of ball valves----makes the alternative kind of pale.  ( I changed down to my working jib---a bit blustery in SW Florida today).   85 F  SSW@15-25.Dave Tinder
DAWN BREAKER  Mk3
Ft Myers

#12 2005-03-30 11:03:34

Warren,
If you have not seen it, this month's issue (April 2005) of Sail magazine has several great articles regarding diesel fuel etc. Timely!
Warren Smith
Serendipity
Galveston Bay, Texas

#13 2005-03-31 06:00:31

Warren,
I too have a Wave and its a great boat. Thou it lacks the draft and taller rig of a MarkV, it sails well and I have been very pleased. Congrads on your purchase and from the looks of it, you've received a lot of informative answers regarding your questions.
Good luck this sailing season.
Rick Quann
Colonial Beach, Va. Sailing the lower Potomac

#14 2005-04-01 23:02:38

Rick...............we will have to compare notes as I get more accustomed to this boat during the coming season (I still have lots to learn about it's pro's/con's). .........................Regards Warren.
PS...........Do you use a trailer for your boat? I have a tandem trailer, I'm hoping to be able to launch/ retrieve  without too much trouble, but would sure like to talk to others about their experiences with the Wave.

Last edited by (2005-04-02 00:27:52)

#15 2005-04-02 00:15:20

[The portion of this and following posts that is devoted to a discussion of batteries deserves its own thread and has been moved.]
Warren............(Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeez one of us is going to have to do a "name change", must be awfull confusing to other readers don't you think?)
I've been "psyching" myself up (I'm just your average "screw turner")to do the fuel tank removal /flush shortly as temps and snow permit, will also "warm up hoses" as you suggest as they all look "original" but are in fine shape except for 17 years of "use/lack of use" and therefore some hardening from age. Hopefully I will be able to reuse them if not too brittle.
Look forward to any and all replies..................Snowing now and expecting 5-15 cms (that's 2-6 inched for you guys in the south)..............Warren

Last edited by (2005-04-05 00:28:31)

#16 2005-04-03 00:37:11

Dear Canadian Warren,
- Hoses are cheap, I would replace all of them if they ar 17 years old.  Don't even consider otherwise.
Nice spring day here, 76F, S wind 10-20 mph, have to remember the hat, sunglasses, and sunblock to go with flip-lops and swimtrunks as i depart for the marina!
Warren Smith
Serendipity
Galveston Bay, Texas

Last edited by (2005-04-05 00:24:33)

#17 2005-04-04 00:07:31

Warren,
To Tropical Warren's point hoses are cheap. While you have the boat out of the water you may want to consider checking or simply changing all of the hoses now. For a couple of hundred bucks, why risk it?

Mike
Pura Vida

Last edited by (2005-04-05 00:25:41)

Board footer