C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2007-06-11 11:55:08

mark v galley sink pump

my newly acquired mark v was used mostly as a daysailor by the previoius owner. the galley sink does not pump up water. Does it need priming? I lifted off the head and poured in som e water. then, when I pumped, i heard a squishing sound-then nothing.

Any ideas?copasetic

#2 2007-06-12 00:18:14

Steve Reid

Re: mark v galley sink pump

Copasetic:
May seem like a silly question, but, have you put water in the fresh water tank? Have you tried the water pump in the head? Does it work? If so then you may have to take the gally pump apart and replace any dried out parts. The lack of use may have caused some of the innerds of the pump to dry out and crack. There is a service kit you can buy, available at most marine supply outlets, for the Whale Flipper pumps that were used in the boats.

Steve Reid
Still Knot Working MkV #75

#3 2007-06-13 09:16:53

Check to see if the inline water filter's plastic housing, located infront of the starboard bulkhead, was cracked over winter. That was the problem with mine this spring.

#4 2007-06-16 03:16:09

dave & steve, thanks for the suggestions. There is water in the tank and I see water in the transparent hose running up to the filter which does not seem to have water in it. So I do not know what I am supposed to be seeing?

Also , is the pump directly connected to the little  handle on top of the sink? so that fitting has to be lifted off and taken apart to put in the new guts?

thanks for your advicecopasetic

#5 2007-06-19 11:19:44

Yes the pump and handle are the same unit on top of sink.
I bet its either a leak in the hose line or filter or the pump/tap/handle is not working. If air gets in anywhere along the line then it can't draw water from the tank.
Try disconnecting the hose from the tap under the sink and suck it manually (fun wow!) to see if water CAN get through. If not, figure out where you hear an air leak. If water does come through, then replace or fix the pump/tap/handle on top of the sink as it is not likely working.
Good luck !!

#6 2007-07-08 11:44:22

I had a similar problem with teh MkV I bought a few years ago although the pump did work on and off.  I'd be pumping and all of a sudded it would "jam" and the spout would pop out a shoot water all over.  I finally broke down and removed the pump thinking that something might be cought inside.  Turns out that the previous owner must have had problems with the pump too, and had installed all new guts.  Only problem was that he installed the guts for a much larger pump so nothing fit.
I ordered a service kit on line "Whale Service Kit Flipper Mk3/4" part number AK0405.  <A href="http://www.whale.ltd.uk/marine/product_list/1/39/">http://www.whale.ltd.uk/marine/product_list/1/39/</A>
I want to say it was about $12.  Don't recall where I ordered it from.  Maybe Pyacht.com.  The servicing was easy.  The hard part was getting back under the sink to reattach the supply hose.
Good luck!

#7 2007-07-25 09:31:26

It's a bit late in the debate but I noticed that one contributor to this thread suggested a kind of "suck-it-and-see" test. Given the kind of crud, including pathogens, that can accumulate in waterlines and tanks which have been unused for any length of time, I'd seriously suggest a thorough cleaning of the water tank, including having the lines blown out or, as I did recently, replace them -- the cost is minimal. From that point on ensure that you keep the tank and lines clean. Some skippers swear by adding one teaspoon of household bleach to each five gallons of water. Additionally, I tore down both Flipper pumps and found them to be in good shape (they are the originals!), so I simply cleaned them thoroughly before reassembly and reinstallation with the new lines.
Yours in good taste,

#8 2007-07-27 10:28:22

thanks to all for your insights. It has been so hot down here, I haven't found the ambition to work in the tight space under the sink to disconnect hoses and to remove the pump. But the project is still on my list.
With regard to bleach in the tank, it reminds of our days roughing it on an island on Bob's Lake (in the Rideau) where we put a capful of bleach in every bucket of lake water which we then used for our cooking,coffee, coolaid, teethbrushing etc.

copasetic

#9 2007-08-05 07:53:38

supplej

In the Mark II, you can take out the shelf above the engine by unscrewing two screws, and easily reach the large retainer ring that holds the Whale flipper pump to the counter.  Then twist the pump so you can reach the SS clamp to take of the hose.

Mine had refused to prime, and when manually primed (pour water through the spout) would not retain the prime, indicating the stainless steel ball at the bottom was not making a good seal. You can take apart the pump with a screwdriver and clean it, or pump through dilute CLR to remove accumulated white stuff.  Since the CLR directions say not to use on aluminum, rinse well.

The Head sink's pump needs a bead of caulk around the base to stop water from rotting the wood under the counter laminate.  The galley pump has a gasket.

Serendipity

#10 2008-05-13 01:41:56

following last year's advice, i have cleaned the water tank, checked the flipper pump-which does pump in my kitchen and am ready to replace the grotty hose from tank to filter to sink.

so, in my mark v, the hose from the tank to the undersink cabinet must have been installed before the cabin liner was dropped in. It snakes via twists and turns behind the liner and then emerges under the sink. I was unable to use it to pull the new line through. Is it against the rules to drill through the cabinet walls and run the new hose straight through the cabinet under the galley stove and straight into the under sink cabinet?

Also, if we are not drinking the water from the tank, just using it for wash-up-is it necessary to put the filter back in the line?

thanks for your advicecopasetic

Board footer