C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-05-02 01:57:56

Ken

wheel installation(existing tiller)

I am aware of the advantages and disadvantages of both.  Has anyone added a wheel to their MKIII and if so, how onerous was the installation process?  Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

#2 2004-05-05 03:58:36

Re: wheel installation(existing tiller)

I am going out on a bit of a limb here,   I have a 27 Mklll that has a wheel.  This was added by some revious owner who did a very good job of it.  The positive side is that you have motor controls at your finger tips with the panel right where you stand.... this is nice when you are motoring or coming into a dock etc... gives nice control when single handing the boat.... it does give room forward of the pedistal for passengers to sit while sailing as well as letting them move in and out of the cabin wihtout getting in the way of the helm.  It looks great and on a boat that is as well balanced as the Mklll most of the time the handling is good.   The negative side is somewhat personal,  I raced many boats and I always felt that a tiller give a better feel to the helmsman as to the working of the boat, the 27 included.....

Summation:  If I did not already have the wheel I would not add one, thus I have one inplace and am reluctant to remove it.  I would strongly suggetst that you find one with the wheel and try it ( swap boats for a day and sail side by side )...

"IRIS"
C&C 27 Mklll
Hull # 453
Kittery Point, Maine

#3 2004-05-05 12:45:57

Everything Iris said is true. I sailed on a MKIII with a tiller for 20 years until I bought my own MKIII with a wheel. The only other advantage of a wheel is that you can use the auto pilot and still open the hatch cover. However a wheel autopilot cost 2x that of a tiller autopilot.
If you are near the west end of lake Erie I will be glad to show you my boat and how the wheel  is installed if you still want to go ahead with a wheel. You can even see what a pita it is to lube the cables etc.

John
MKIII 1975

#4 2004-05-06 00:10:20

The wheel is the best thing that ever happened to my MK111, most people that install wheels on there 27 usually by the stantard wheel which I believe is a little small for the boat and does not give the feel one would expect, I had a secound ring attached to my wheel making it 4 inches larger around and the feel and handling is perfect, I wouldn't trade it for anything. The space in the cockpit is incredible and when racing it keeps the helm out of the sail trimmers way. I have had a seat made that sits between my split back stay that makes for a comfortable ride, also I don't have to stand so that I can see what is forward of the boat when cruising, I can just look ahead. Whether you are racing or cruising, the wheel is the way to go. Most people who have been sailing with a tiller all there life have a hard time steering a boat with a wheel. Go figure.
Bob Wilson
Legacy MK111

#5 2004-05-06 01:50:15

I am going to agree that adding a larger diameter wheel makes life easier, but I am going to add one thing to my previous rant about the wheel.   When racing, you want to keep the weight off the ends of the boat, especially the stern, thus when sailing down wind in light air you want as much weight forward toward the center or even a bow down pitch.... it does make a difference.   The bow cuts water much better than the stern pulls water along.

"IRIS"
C&C 27 Mklll
Kittery Point, Maine

#6 2004-05-06 02:36:22

Getting back to the original question. I have an Edson wheel 30 inch that was factory installed but C&C did include all the manuals and instructions to install the wheel. You get a full size template to tape to the deck and mark where and what size to drill the holes. It appears to me that normal hand tools are all that you would need. how you seal the deck is left up to you. You will also need to reroute your engine controls. Being a small agile person would be very helpful too. Edson also included an emergency tiller should the wheel ever malfunction. I wish mine had come with the optional wheel brake too.
One note aside, you should ask Edson for a copy of their current installation instructions. Mine are now 29 years old. If you want to see any part of it let me know. it's on the west end of lake Erie.
John
'75 MKIII

Board footer