C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-11-21 08:05:33

Hugh Morrin

Hard Coated Dacron for a C&C Mainsail

Has anyone got experience with a main made from hard coated Dacron? Our sailmaker is recommending such a material, but the downside is that it would require rolling the main. That, in turn would require letting the luff slides fall out of the mast each time the main was lowered. I'm curious if anyone rolls their main on a regular basis, and if so, do you find it to be much of a hassle?

Thanks.
Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu
C&C 27 Mk III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club
www.nsc.ca/cc27
</a>

Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu, C&C 27 Mk III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club, www.nsc.ca/cc27
President and back-up webmaster, C&C 27 Association

#2 2011-11-21 09:23:02

Jeff

Re: Hard Coated Dacron for a C&C Mainsail

I had mylar mains on my last two boats and we rolled them all the time.  Sometimes it was easier and quicker, sometimes not.  Had a boltrope on the luff instead of slides.  Get  prefeeder for it if you go that way.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#3 2011-11-22 00:31:40

TalW

Hi Hugh,

What are your priorities for the new sail?  Choosing Dacron would suggest price and longetivity are key factors, but the resin coating has an impact on both those items that could eliminate the cost/performance benefits.

Something like Dimension's SF260HTP could make a great sail, but I wouldn't use such a firm finish woven cloth for the mainsail due to the handling requirements of the material.

Since the mast extrusion will only accept flat slides, there's no simple way to convert to boltrope.  Instead, you'd have to remove the slide stop and feed/remove the slides each time you raise/lower the sail.  Even temporarily allowing the cloth to flake as it's lowered would break down the coating rapidly - the material's very crisp!  And our booms are so high above the deck that it could be a struggle to contain the sail when it's in transition.

I'd suggest the same cloth, but without the HTP plus firm finish, would be the best practical high performance choice for a Dacron mainsail.  Another alternative would be the newer woven cloths suitable for triradial construction, but their durability has not yet been proven and attempts to develop similar cloths in the past were not very successful (I speak from personal experience on that subject!).

FYI, in general a mainsail made of firm finish should be priced about halfway between an entry medium quality dacron and a crosscut Kevlar laminate sail, and about the same price as a crosscut Pentex laminate sail.

Sail purchase decisions can become quite complicated with so many options but I'd explore other performance alternatives.

Cheers,
Tal
Critical Path
1976 MkIII #632

#4 2011-11-23 01:05:10

Jeff

Tal, could you send me an email?  I'd like to discuss some sail things possibly some replacements? 
Thanks,
C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

Last edited by (2011-11-23 04:11:29)

C&C 27 Mk I #4
Clockwork
Port Stanley, On.

#5 2011-11-23 04:12:45

foroadmin
Administrator

Address is deleted in the post above. Please read http://www.cc27association.com/site/view.html for the reason why.
- Admin

Board footer