C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2012-05-28 05:14:39

dmartis

Backflow into toilet bowl

I have a mystery of water flowing back into the toilet bowl of my new Jabsco toilet. The original toilet did this, so I of course replaced it, as well as new hoses.  I replaced the polyethylene tank (that had numerous cracks) with a new stainless steel tank. 

Inspite of my efforts, some of the liquids destined for the tank end up back in the bowl, with associated unpleasant odours. I checked the joker valve, and it still looks brand new.  I pumped the bowl dry with the water intake closed, and still water somehow gets in. 

Does anyone else have this problem? I've read about vented loops at the top of the discharge hose, but I'm not sure if this is necessary yet.  Is this a venting issue?

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

#2 2012-05-28 09:02:13

Steve Reid

Re: Backflow into toilet bowl

You might want to check your holding tank vent. It may have become plugger over the winter. If the vent is plugged and the tank won't vent you will build up presure in the tank when you pump from the toilet into the tank. That pressure could be causing the liquid in the tank to be forced back through the lines and into the toilet.
Try removing the deck pumpout plug and pump some water from the bowel and into the tank, let it sit for a period of time and see if it comes back into the bowel. If it does not then your vent is most likely plugged.

Steve Reid

#3 2012-06-04 03:44:31

dmartis

Definitely a good idea - I gave it a try and still have water in the bowl all the time.  Must be the joker valve - hard to believe its worn out already!  Has anyone ever installed a vented loop at the top of the discharge hose? Or should the joker valve be able to hold back any residual liquids from draining back into the bowl?

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

#4 2012-06-04 08:15:45

Tonyj

Hi Dan:
Yes, you should install an anti-siphon valve (vented loop) in the discharge line. 
Here's Don Casey's article on head installation:
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/installing-head.asp
He recommends a vented loop.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS
Mk V #581
San Diego

#5 2012-06-04 09:38:08

Steve Reid

Dan:
I would be very careful about installing a vented loop in your system if it is connected directly to a holding tank. Vented loops are only recommenrded in systems that have a direct overboard discharge.
By putting a vented loop in your system you are exposing yourself and everyone on the boat to the possibility (a very real concern) of the release of fumes and gasses from the holding tank. Your holding tank must have a vent hose that is connected to a vent on the exterior of the boat, this allows for the expansion and contraction of the contents of the tank and allows for the escape of excess fumes and gas form the tank.

Steve Reid

#6 2012-06-06 02:26:12

ALAN FORD

Last week I had abnormal pressure when pumping out the contents of the bowl to the holding tank, and then had the good fortune to read Steve Reid's comment about blocked ventilation lines. Yesterday I removed two large, dead wasps (hornets???) and their nest/ bedding from the outside fitting and now that extra pressure has gone. Thanks Steve. Cause of death of those beasties was asphyxiation.
Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#7 2012-07-16 04:12:06

dmartis

Turns out it was the joker valve, even though it was just over a year old.  Apparently you need to replace these things every year.  New $10 valve - presto, no backflow!

On to the next project.

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

Board footer