C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2013-05-01 08:13:33

whippet

Mark 3 Shaft Size and Cutlass Repair

Hi

Springtime surprise after C&C27 long winter nap.  Squealing coming from Cutlass bearing (I think).   Although it does seem to stop when rpms come up.   

List of other projects is too long to take this on just now -- so having mechanic coming to take a look -- but he wants to know shaft size in advance.   I am away from boat for a few days -- so wonder if shaft size is standard with 1980 vintage with Atomic 4.

BTW, anyone out there have favorite Toronto area mechanic?  Called James Kudoo for this one.
Steve
TS&CC, 1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Toronto ON

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

#2 2013-05-02 10:40:45

bosco

Re: Mark 3 Shaft Size and Cutlass Repair

Hi Steve, you don't say whether your boat is in or out of water. I assume it's out of the water because you say you can hear the bearing squealing. If the boat was in the water I doubt you would hear it.
The  Cutlas Bearing is lubricated by the water which runs between the shaft and bearing itself---It is not intended to run dry. Dry friction would cause it to squeal.

Clare Jordan. Aragorn

Clare Jordan,
Stormont Yacht Club,
Long Sault

Board footer