C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2023-11-18 21:36:32

SamAxelrod

Fuel Tank Replacement

I just purchased a 1981 Mark 4.
The previous owner had a portable fuel tank but suggested either cleaning out the old metal tank or replacing it with a poly one.
The engine was switched to a Yanmar Diesel about 15 years ago.
I like the idea of a poly tank as the fuel level is pretty easy to see even if the guage is faulty.  I saw several old posts as to what people have done, but wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to where I may be able to purchase one now. A tank with connections similar to the original would be best.
I am in Toronto, with the boat stored near Simcoe.
Thanks for the advice.

#2 2024-07-24 07:31:51

Hugh Morrin

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement

We installed a 25L Vetus Fuel tank in our Yanmar-powered 1981 Mk 3 back in 2008. I love it. We burn ~50L of diesel, at most, a year, so we don't have to worry about carrying around 2-year old gas. I marked the side of the tank with a marker in 2L increments, so with a quick glance, I can see very accurately how much fuel we have. About 10 years after installation, I removed the tank, poured the 5L of diesel that remained in the tank into my buddy's truck, and inspected it for the kind of sludge that can sometimes collect in tanks. It was very clean. I nevertheless washed it out with hot water, and re-installed it. We've never had any problems or issues.

The tank we purchased is the one shown at https://webshop.vetus.com/en/product/ft … -fuel-tank. Price from https://www.thechandleryonline.com in 2008 was $189.84 + tax.

See attached photos.

mini_BZ-Fuel-Tanks---Vetus-Original-DdL6.jpgmini_BZ-Fuel-Tank---Vetus-Installed-1.jpgmini_BZ-Fuel-Tank---Vetus-Installed-2.jpgmini_BZ-Fuel-Tank---Vetus-Installed-3.jpg

Last edited by Hugh Morrin (2024-07-24 07:34:30)

Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu, C&C 27 Mk III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club, www.nsc.ca/cc27
President and back-up webmaster, C&C 27 Association

Board footer