C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2005-03-19 09:47:04

Hugh Morrin

Hoses - for Cockpit Drains & Head Plumbing

The hoses for the cockpit drains on our '81 MK III were dried and cracked, so we've decided to replace them. They are probably original, and the black 1.5" ID hose, with its steel reinforcing, was very difficult to remove. (If anyone has a suggestion for an easier technique, it would be appreciated! We've only removed one, at this point.) Looking for advice on what type of hose to use as a replacement. The easiest to fit would probably be PVC bilge hose, but I'm not sure whether there are any concerns with heat being that close to the engine. The other option would be a soft-wall water exhaust hose, but it's much less pliable, and thus would, I suspect, be much more difficult to install. Anyone that has any suggestions on this process, we'd love to hear from you!

The hose from the holding tank to the deck pump-out fitting is of the same variety as the cockpit drains, also 1.5" ID. We picked up some sanitation hosing to replace that, and some 3/4" ID sanitation hose for the holding tank vent. What we're not sure about yet, or haven't decided upon, is whether we should replace the hose from the head to the holding tank. This hose, on our boat, is a red Type A fuel line hose. We do have problems with odours from the head, and not sure whether this is likely coming from the hoses. Comments/suggestions? If we do replace this line, does anybody know how long that segment is?

Speaking of measurements, this is what we've noted:
<UL>
<LI>Cockpit Drains: 14.5" x 1.5" ID
<LI>Holding Tank - Pump-out: 12.25" x 1.5" ID
<LI>Holding Tank Vent: <X-TAB>     </X-TAB>18" x 3/4" ID </LI></UL>Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu
MK III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club

Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu, C&C 27 Mk III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club, www.nsc.ca/cc27
President and back-up webmaster, C&C 27 Association

#2 2005-03-21 04:10:37

davidww1

Re: Hoses - for Cockpit Drains & Head Plumbing

I originally had wire-wound exhaust hose on my boat, which I replaced by hacksawing a section out of the middle of each length, then removing the pieces individually. I replaced it with the same type, as it's incredibly tough and it's heatproof. I would not use anything less than this as the boat depends on this hose to stay afloat.

Exhaust hose is very stiff, but like almost anything made of plastic or rubber, becomes more pliable if it's heated. I brought an electric kettle to the boat and poured boiling water slowly over it, then quickly slipped it on.

As to your head hose, read the article on bad smells in Black Arts.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2005-03-21 04:13:12)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2014-03-25 10:39:50

TBracken

David,

You indicated that you "replaced it with the same type" of hose. What specific type is it and where did you get it?
-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

#4 2014-03-25 11:35:21

davidww1

It was wire-wound USCG-certified exhaust hose. Can't be more specific than that. Got it from a marine supplier in Toronto. tough as nails, a bitch to put on but should be good for 20-25 years.

Ages ago, someone who was renovating a boat spoke of spec'ing and measuring all the hose on his boat and getting an incredible deal (all cut to precise size) from Defender Industries. Give it a shot.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2014-03-26 03:11:38

TBracken

Will do. Thanks David. I appreciate your wealth of knowledge and willingness to share.
-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

#6 2014-04-07 03:48:52

dmartis

When I replaced the hoses on my cockpit drains, they also were incredibly stiff.  When doing the install, I found it easier to pull out the cockpit drain from the cockpit sole, make the hose connections, and then push the drain fitting back in (while re-bedding it) and tightening the backing nut on it.

This gives much more "wiggle room" when wrestling with the stiff hose.

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

Dan Martis
Dream Catcher
Oakville, Ontario
Mark 3, Hull #636

Board footer