C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2004-01-03 08:10:22

Head Sail& furling

Hi everyone. I am in the market to buy a head sail and roller furling for my 1979 C&C mark III.and will be going to the Boat show in Toronto this month.
I race my boat on a weekly basis, but I also spend a lot of time cruising. My boat is out on the lake just about every day, so I'm looking for material that will keep me in the top three in racing, but also will take a lot of wear. Budget you Know!.
I like the Harken System but I have no (not a clue) what to buy for a head sail,
Also what should I have for information ie: measurements,to supply the supplier when I go to Toronto Show.
I would really appreciate any feed back.
Thanks in advance
Dave

#2 2004-01-03 23:22:12

Re: Head Sail& furling

Hi dave, I have a 76 mk3 with harken furling. This last summer I bought a performance cruising 153% headsail from Quantum in Toronto. The sail is awesome. we race Wednesdays at Lakeshore Yacht Club and Thursdays at Etobicoke and had very good results both clubs. The sail is not cheap but I really doubt that you could find a sail for roller furling that would perform better. One thing though for a UV strip use dacron instead of sunbrella (dacron is what I used) the sail sstays lighter.
Tom (ravenscroft)

#3 2004-01-04 03:36:09

davidww1

Don't worry about measurements - all the major sailmakers will have lots of data on the 27.

David Weatherston
"Towser", Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2004-01-04 03:38:08)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2004-01-11 20:45:39

Thanks for the feed back

#5 2004-03-08 14:20:13

Re: headsail UV protection.  I just bought a triradial laminate roller furling headsail from Quantum, but I opted to not put any UV protection on the sail itself.  Quantum will make you a protective sock which has a full length zipper and installs using the spinnaker halyard when the boat is at dock.  That way, you get high quality protection but there is no extra fabric on the leach or foot to weigh down the sail or distort its shape.  Also, this can be used with any of your headsails.  My sock is bright red Sunbrella!
Bob S/V Heatwave (Mark V)

#6 2004-03-12 07:16:33

I have just such a sock for UV protection, and it is a pain in the you know what to get over a loosely furled sail (I don't like rolling my sail drum tight).  In addition, I find it flogs horribly in the slightest wind, causing alot of stress on the rig.  I suppose it's obvious I gave up on using it and just take the sail down, until I can get a UV strip added.

#7 2004-03-12 10:09:43

Chris,
The genoa sock that Quantum makes has an internal criss-cross line that cinches the sock up tight around the sail to the full height, specifically to prevent any flogging.  Also, before you cinch the sock up tight, it is plenty large enough to slide up over even a loosley furled sail.  At least that's what I've been promised -- I haven't used it yet.  If the reasons that you went with the sock originally are still valid, you should look into the Quantum product before you weight your sail down with permanent UV strips.

#8 2004-04-20 23:09:37

I just installed a Schaefer 750 on my Mk I.  I highly recommend it.
Fortunately, the boat came with a heavy #1 reaching jib that looked like it never came out of the bag since it was measured for PHRF rating in 8/72.  With new luff tape and a little extra cut off to raise the foot to the top lifeline (I do a lot of night sailing and sacrifice sail size for visibility/safety) I ended up with a 138% which is a good all purpose cruising sail.  I have sailed it in typical light air 8-10 knts as well as in 20-25 knt winds and it serves very well.
Although I seldom race, and not seriously, I plan to install luff tape on the stock Genoa for any real light days, and as a spare jib.  A sail change with this unit takes only a few minutes.
Warren Smith
Serendipity

Board footer