C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2008-10-25 08:44:11

TBracken

Keel Dimensions

Does anyone know the keel width at various points up it's length (width, not cord length)?  I'd measure it myself, but Dauntless is still in the water.
-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915 [the first]
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Dauntless, C&C 27 Mk. IV #915
Indianapolis, Indiana

#2 2008-11-05 03:10:38

TBracken

Re: Keel Dimensions

<p class="MsoNormal">This is important because it has a material impact the custom trailer I&rsquo;m currently designing (<a title="http://www.cc27association.com/f3/toast/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=2&tid=4446" href="toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=2&tid=4446">http://www.cc27association.com/f3/toast/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=2&tid=4446</a>).

The current plan calls for an integrated tongue extension that is offset from the centerline of the trailer.   The tongue extension enables the trailer to be placed further into the water when ramp launching the boat.  When &ldquo;collapsed&rdquo; (a.k.a. not extended) the offset tongue extension will pass aside the keel.  I want to offset the integrated extension as little as possible yet still clear the width of the keel.  The vertical placement of the extension is approximately 1 to 1.5 feet up from the bottom of the keel.  I assume that the keel is somewhat tapered (with the bottom quartile being narrower than the upper quartile).  Having an idea of the general width of the keel at various points up its length will help me minimize the degree of necessary offset.

No need to get out a micrometer, estimation to the nearest inch will do.
-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

#3 2008-11-08 07:42:56

davidww1

The foot of the keel fits neatly into a 5"x2" u-shaped steel channel (relatively thin-walled). It flares out to about 7 inches thick about 6 inches above the bottom.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2008-11-08 08:46:20

TBracken

<p class="null" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">Fantastic.  Thank you David!

Based on the current plan, the tongue extension will pass the side of the keel 1&rsquo;-4&rdquo; up from the bottom of the keel.  Based on the information you provided (7&rdquo; keel width), I can offset the extension 4&rdquo; (from the centerline of the trailer) and still have 0.5&rdquo; to spare between the side of the keel and the side of the collapsed tongue extension ( 4&rdquo;x2-7&rdquo;/2=0.5" ).  When you use the word &ldquo;about&rdquo;, how &ldquo;about&rdquo; is &ldquo;about&rdquo;?  How confident are you of the 7&rdquo; keel width at 1&rsquo;-4&rdquo; from the bottom of the keel?

-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

#5 2008-11-09 01:12:47

davidww1

When you use the word &ldquo;about&rdquo;, how &ldquo;about&rdquo; is &ldquo;about&rdquo;?  How confident are you of the 7&rdquo; keel width at 1&rsquo;-4&rdquo; from the bottom of the keel?

Not particularly, because I wasn't specifically looking at or measuring that. The 5"x2" was measured, as was an 8" wide plank that formed part of the support under the cradle's crossbars. The point where the keel flared to a constant chord thickness was measured. I sighted down the line of the keel to the 8" plank and estimated the amount of plank visible on either side, so that value is probably accurate to 1/4" at that point. My sense is that 7" represents a constant, but I can't guarantee that and I forgot my camera, so no pics.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#6 2008-11-10 23:52:41

TBracken

Thanks David.  I appreicate your effort in helping answer this important question.

I'm placing the offset at 5".  That should provide ample room for keel clearance while not going unnecessarily too far off the centerline of the trailer (thus minimizing binding on the tongue assemply while towing).
-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

;-Todd Bracken
Indianapolis, Indiana

#7 2008-11-19 00:35:27

Hugh Morrin

We bought a trailer used that was custom built for a MK III. I'd be pleased to e-mail you photos if you'd like to send me your e-mail address.

morrinh at magma dot ca.
Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu
C&C 27 Mk III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club
www.nsc.ca/cc27
</a>

Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu, C&C 27 Mk III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club, www.nsc.ca/cc27
President and back-up webmaster, C&C 27 Association

Board footer