C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2013-02-03 01:45:32

whippet

Ice in Bilge

I made a visit to winter storage yesterday in Toronto.   I found ice in the bilge.  As part of winterizing, I put in a few inches of -50 RV antifreeze, but water must have seeped in.   No freezing in head, and other places RV used.   Top few ccs in bilge was solid ice, but bottom still fluid.

I plan to return with heat gun later in week and get all cleaned out.   

Question is, what do I look for in terms any signs of damage.    Any others had any bad experiences with icy bilge?

thanks   
Steve
TS&CC, 1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Toronto ON

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

#2 2013-02-05 05:45:30

davidww1

Re: Ice in Bilge

You can get a lot of water in the boat from condensation, particularly if we go through a number of freeze/thaw cycles. Don't worry about it. The sides of the bilge are not parallel, so the expansion of the ice won't do anything bad. RV antifreeze really isn't necessary. Whatever you do, don't put engine antifreeze in the bilge; it seems to create worse issues.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2014-02-09 00:03:47

Katara

Re: Ice in Bilge

Plumbing anti-freeze (usually pink or purple) can be either Propylene based or alcohol based. If it's alcohol based, it should not be used in engines as a coolant as the alcohol will attack rubber seals and hoses. Also, its protection is dramatically reduced if it mixes with water and thus is not a good choice given what we're trying to achieve here -- freeze protection. I always look for -100 so hopefully water doesn't weaken it beyond the actual outside temp. The bilge isn't four sided so you don't get expansion pressure like in the internal passages of your engine and cracking . I wet vac mine out and thats it.
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
Bronte, ON

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

Board footer