C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2014-12-10 20:47:12

whippet

Wireless Wind Instrument

Hi   Time to replace tired wind instrument.   Since mast comes down each season, looking into wireless such as Garmin Gwind.     

Any experiences out there w wireless?   I assume a C&C mast height doesnt put signal out of range.

This is primarily used for cruising, not racing.

thanks
Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

#2 2014-12-11 03:31:25

davidww1

Re: Wireless Wind Instrument

Most people seem happy with their Tacktick instruments, but then most are only a couple of years old.

Bear in mind that most of these devices rely to some extent on a battery and that battery will have a finite life. My first Tacktick Racemaster died in three years; the current one stands at about five. Throwing out a $1500 wind system after five years is too painful to contemplate. As a point of contrast, a friend's B&G is over thirty years old and still going strong with one display head replaced.

So... balance the convenience of wireless with the cost. Can the battery be replaced by you or does it have to go back to the maker for a rebuild (which is 120 pounds UK for a Racemaster).

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV
PS - This shouldn't be construed as a specific recommendation for Tacktick; rather, I'm using them as a way of saying that a) the first entrant has proved it's a viable and as far as I know, reliable, technology and b) there's a variable here - battery replacement) that doesn't seem to get a lot of awareness.

Last edited by (2014-12-13 06:22:10)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2014-12-12 22:19:01

Katara

also look into SailTimer Wind Vane wireless & solar powered for use on your smart phone or tablet and run navionics & google earth for charts and 3d bottom images
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#4 2014-12-13 08:57:34

Tonyj

Hi Steve:

The cost to repair my twenty-five plus year old Signet wind instrument was $600.  For the same $600 I bought a TakTik MN30.
It was a pretty easy installation. I installed it October 2009, with no problems so far.  I am pleased with the unit.
I have not had problems with weak or lost signals.

Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS, Mkv #581
SGYC, San Diego

Board footer