C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2006-05-14 02:32:09

vaughnsteve

rigging specifics on a Mark I

am looking at buying a '71 Mark I.    It's been a while since I owned a boat but the rigging on this boat seems odd to me and I wondered if I could get some info on how others have their boats rigged and what was standard.  Perhaps there are rigging diagrams available.  I'm searching the web without much success.    The former owner is not available to answer questions regarding the boat. 
  My main questions, at present, are about the jib and main halyards. There is only one winch on the mast, on the starboard side, and it would seem to be for the jib since the mast-internal jib halyard is on starboard.   There are no winches on the cabin top though there are cleats at the aft end of the cabin top, one to each side of the companion way which I'd assume were for tying off the main and jib halyards.  But there are no fair leads at the bottom of the mast that would allow safe and easy leading of the halyards back toward the cockpit.     
    Bottom line question is whether it is usual not to have a mail halyard winch and whether there is a standard way to run both halyards to where they can be handled from the cockpit?   

A secondary question regards the boomvang.   This boat does not seem to have one (even one that slides onto the boom) or even have connecting points for one at the base of the mast or on the boom.     Do people really sail without one?    Is there an easy/standard way to add one.

Thanks

Steve

#2 2006-05-14 05:20:41

pura vida

Re: rigging specifics on a Mark I

Steve, There was some variation in the rigging from boat to boats. My MKII came with 8 winches, two on the starboard side of the mast for the spinnaker. None was on the port side of the mast where one might expect one to be. There should be U bolts at the base of the mast to attach blocks for running the halyards or other lines aft. If there are no vang attachments you may have a roller furling boom. There was a dual clam shell attachment for some of those booms. My vang stays stowed with the sheets but then I don't race too often.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#3 2006-05-14 20:53:28

Hyperion is a 71 Mk 1 Hull # 28.  My mast has a winch on the starboard side of the mast for the jib halyard. I also have a winch on the port side for the Main halyard which you use a winch handle to operate and it has a brake for securing the halyard. I intend to change this and run the main halyard back to the cockpit.
At the mast step there is a series of holes drilled and blocks attached( 3 on each side) for varius lines to be run back to the cockpit.
Hyperion has six winches. two small ones on the cabin top for tensioning any lines.   two for the jib sheets, and two   2 speed winches for the spinnaker.
There is a four line block setup on the boom that runs approx. 1 1/2 ft back from the mast to the base of the mast and leads back to the cockpit used for vang.
Hope this helps.
Ralph Ainslie
"Hyperion"

#4 2006-05-15 01:56:30

vaughnsteve

thanks Mike and Ralph

Yes, Mike, the boom has roller reefing.  I should have realized that was why no permanent vang attachment to the boom though I think my Ranger 26 had both.   
   There are no blocks at the base of the mast so I suppose I'll need to drill into the deck and add some.   

If anyone has photos of the fair leads/blocks on the cabin top of their boat I'd love to see them. 

Thanks again for the info.

Steve 

#5 2006-05-15 02:59:17

davidww1

> I suppose I'll need to drill into the deck and add some.

Don't do that.

Ralph, I think, mentioned that blocks are normally secured to the alloy channel in which the mast base rests. You can see a photo here. This is a bit of a rat's nest, but I think you can see that the blocks are secured to lengths of rod that bridge the channel. There are additional holes at the forward end. Some people add a piece of alloy to the side of the channel and mount the blocks on standup springs, etc. 

If you now go to Black Arts >> Genoa Tracks, some of the photos just show people's arrangements of line stoppers at the aft end of the coachroof and way off in the distance, the deck organizers that lead the lines aft.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#6 2006-05-15 20:18:07

David is right. I just didn't explain myself good enough. The blocks at the base of the mast are attached  to the mast step. Not through the cabin top.
I also have organizers leading these lines aft to the clutches.
Ralph Ainslie
"Hyperion"

Board footer