C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2006-05-27 12:35:03

vaughnsteve

unstepping mast

Hello to all
  Yesterday I bought the '71 Mark I I've written about. (Yes, cc27 Assoc. membership application goes in the mail tomorrow.) I just bought has, I believe, the wobbly spreader issue already discussed here while back, plus the boat was out of use for several years, so I'm going to recheck all rigging and look for automobile radiator hose.    Despite 10 years or so of sailboat ownership I never had to unstep a mast.      Was wondering if this (and restepping) is a job requiring more than two people/men and, in general how difficult it is-- and if there are any good how-to manuals, articles.   I've tuned masts but somehow never had to unstep one.      Also wondering if there's a standard (backward) rake on the mast for this particular boat.    Any info/experience would be appreciated.    Anyone know the weight of the mast, without boom or shrouds?

Thanks

Steve

#2 2006-05-28 03:30:47

davidww1

Re: unstepping mast

It's not difficult, and it's probably easier to do than describe - but you have to remember that it's a deck-stepped mast, so attach the lifting gear before you undo all the shrouds (you'd be surprised - perhaps appalled - at how many people have trouble with this concept). Two people can do it easily - I once stepped and unstepped it myself before I put roller furling on. The weight is carriable by two men, though three would be happier if there's any distance involved.

1. Strip the spar down to essentials - boom off, lines off the deck and secured on the mast and disconnect any electrics.
2. Secure a strop of line or webbing around the mast and attach it to lifting gear (mast crane, tackle attached to the railing of a bridge that's at least two feet above the spreaders, passing helicopter, etc.). Hoist this to a position under the lower shroud attachment points, with some upward tension.
3. Undo everything.
4. Raise the spar enough to clear the mast-step.
5. Walk the foot onto shore while slowly lowering and pivoting the whole business so it lands on prepared sawhorses.
6. Pull it all apart if you're storing it or simply fix the spreaders in your case and reverse the procedure.

There's a wealth of info on "tuning" and "rake" (search these words), so I won't repeat it.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2006-05-28 05:23:46

vaughnsteve

many thanks for the reply.   Actually, I realized my question really was whether or not this could be done without a crane or other lifting device and was logging back in to make that distinction.     Had been trying to visualize how to handle the torque and avoid some adverse event(s) once the mast had been taken back far enough for the foot to come loose.    (Have seen online pictures of doing this with smaller boats and smaller masts, no crane.)     It seems simple enough with a crane and unsafe without one, regardless of how much help is available.   Is that correct?       No crane available where I presently am so I might need to do everything else, get it in the water and then get to someplace that can handle the un- and re-masting while in the water. 
  Thanks again

Steve

#4 2006-05-28 08:25:13

davidww1

>It seems simple enough with a crane and unsafe without one, regardless of how much help is available. Is that correct?

That's more or less correct. The word 'unsafe', however, suggests that there is merely a possibility of either hurting someone or damaging something; 'dangerous' or perhaps 'criminally negligent' are closer the mark.

I'm sure you could devise some arrangement of sheer-legs and a spiderweb of lines that would avoid the use of a crane, but for the first time, a crane or bridge might be the more sensible option.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2006-05-28 08:27:32)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2006-05-28 10:05:14

vaughnsteve

>The word 'unsafe', however, suggests that there is merely a possibility of either hurting someone or damaging something; 'dangerous' or perhaps 'criminally negligent' are closer the mark.<

Ah, a man who understands the art and beauty of the sardonic.   As a native NY'er it's like music to me.       I get it: use crane, bridge, or VTOL craft for vertical lift.         Am actually glad to be warned away from the manual route since all my visualizations of the process seemed unstable and fraught with danger, if not criminality-- despite pictures of manual mast removal on the 'net.

Was also wondering if anyone had schematics or pictures of Mark I tall rig spreaders at the mast.  I've searched the forums and not found that, though I have seen the "automobile radiator hose" fixes.   

Regardless, thanks again David

Steve

#6 2006-05-29 23:46:16

davidww1

Here are two pics of a <a href="http://www.cc27association.com/photos/spreaders/spreaderbase.jpg"target="_blank">spreader base</a> and the <a href="http://www.cc27association.com/photos/spreaders/spreaderinbd.jpg"target="_blank">inboard end</a> of a spreader (complete with rad hose). Some people put cotter pins through the holes but I prefer machine screws with nylock nuts.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2006-05-30 04:43:29)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer