C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2007-01-10 06:30:20

Prop Strut - MK III

Hello,
When I pulled my boat for the winter (Racine, WI), I was surprised to find that the bronze strut which supports the propeller shaft was broken.  I never knew I had a problem as everything was still running smooth and nice (I still have the A4).
I have removed the shaft, coupling etc. and am having a new shaft made as the old one was bent.  I am also having the prop balanced.  I am trying to buy a new strut, but having real problems finding one.  I tried South Shore as well as several other sources, all failures.
Any ideas for a source?  Does anyone know of a used source?
Thanks,
Bob Wooden

#2 2007-01-10 08:28:30

davidww1

Re: Prop Strut - MK III

There was a fellow on this forum who lost his boat to Katrina. He might still have the p-bracket. Search for "Katrina". 

Alternatively, take the pieces to a moulding shop and see if they can cast a new one (or even repair the one you have).

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2007-01-10 09:01:32

Check out the following site: www.practical-sailor.com. Look through their index for "recasting a prop strut".
Article deals with a situation similar to your problem.
Hope this helps.

Bob Honsberger
Burlington Ontario
former owner of "Budge". hull # 322

Last edited by (2007-01-10 09:37:38)

#4 2007-01-10 09:08:59

Forgot to mention that new struts are available from
www.buckalgonquin.com. Not sure of cost, but may be less expensive than having one cast locally.

Bob Honsberger
Burlington Ontario

#5 2007-01-11 04:02:14

KenPole

The current issue (February) Canadian Yachting has a display ad for Bayview Propellor Repair in Woodview, Ontario. It indicates that they do strut repair/replacement. They're at <A href="http://www.bayviewpropellor.ca">http://www.bayviewpropellor.ca</A>, e-mail <A href="mailto:bayview.propellor@sympatico.ca">bayview.propellor@sympatico.ca</A> or phone (705) 654-4409. I'd appreciate, as others probably would, knowing how you resolve the problem. Good luck.
Ken Pole
1975 Mark III Santiva
Ottawa

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#6 2007-01-11 12:37:27

KenPole

As Administrator Dave has pointed out, the URL for Bayview Propellor isn't working. I know, I know, I should have checked it before forwarding it. However, it is as printed in CY so will follow up by phone tomorrow and advise. Cheers.
Ken Pole
1975 Mark III Santiva
Ottawa

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#7 2007-01-12 01:59:18

KenPole

Further on Bayview Propellor. Proprieter Dennis Johnston confirms that their website is down and that they're looking for a new ISP. Meanwhile, if you have no luck locally, their e-mail address and phone number in the earlier message are current. Johnston says they can repair, replace (if they have an old one) or recast. Over to you -- and, again, good luck.
Ken Pole
1975 Mark III Santiva
Ottawa

Ken Pole, Ottawa
1975 Mark III Santiva

#8 2007-01-12 08:38:00

Thanks to everyone for the good ideas and information.  I'll update when I have an outcome...  Only about 84 days until launch if I can get everything done!

#9 2007-02-13 08:52:06

I have a prop strut from my 1976 25. According to my original owners manual it is for a 7/8" shaft which appears to be the same shaft used in the 27 with an Atomic Four.

Drop me a note. Stephen   s.s.harding@sympatico.ca

#10 2007-04-26 20:53:19

WIGMAN

hi bob let me know if you still need that strut

#11 2007-04-29 00:15:50

woodenr

erdana">Time for an update...</SPAN>
erdana"></SPAN>erdana">I started this thread, looking for a prop strut to replace the broken one.  Here is the run-down on what all has been done (I am ready to launch next week).</SPAN>
erdana"></SPAN>erdana">- New Prop strut was cast by Mystic River Foundry in CT, using the old one as a pattern.  Seems like a quality casting, but I should have done my own pattern work.</SPAN>
erdana"></SPAN>erdana">- Machining of strut and new shaft (old one was bent when checked) by Air Marine in Chicago.  Also fitted new coupling to shaft.n: yes">  </SPAN>Great work.</SPAN>
erdana"></SPAN>erdana">- 11X5 Martec prop fitted.  This was a used prop that I had rebuilt by Martec; it looks like new at 1/4 the cost of new.n: yes">  </SPAN>This is the older “flat tipped” Martec with more blade area near the tip than the newer elliptic.</SPAN>
erdana"></SPAN>erdana">- New shaft log hose, packing etc.</SPAN>
erdana"></SPAN>erdana">Basically everything is new from the back of the old A4.n: yes">  </SPAN>I’ll close this thread (since I started it) and report on how this prop works compared to the previous 12X5 Michigan "blue dot" folder".</SPAN>
erdana"></SPAN>erdana">Bob Wooden | </SPAN>erdana">Rhapsody – C&C 27 Mk 3</SPAN>

Last edited by (2007-05-01 23:40:29)

Board footer