C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2011-05-19 06:50:02

DinghyJim

Dingy walls in cabin

My wooden cabin walls are looking pretty worn so I would like to restore them but I don't know how to do it. After asking around one guy told me to sand then varnish them but another told me to sand and re-oil them. I believe the walls are mahogany so it surprised me that he said to re-oil them, I thought you could only do that for teak. The walls are currently un-varnished and never have been varnished so this seemed strange too.

-Jamie
Celebros
Long Island Sound

Last edited by (2011-05-19 16:46:44)

-Jamie
Captain UConn Sailing
Skipper Celebros
Head Instructor Orienta Beach Club

#2 2011-05-20 01:24:21

Tonyj

Re: Dingy walls in cabin

Hi Jamie:
I'd be very careful about sanding.  Remember the bulkheads are plywood with only a thin mahogany veneer.  Agressive sanding and you're through the veneer.
Before you oil or varnish, I recommend you give the wood a good scrubbing, using a wood cleaner like Murphy's Oil Soap.
Furniture polish, used an all types of wood, is oil based, so using lemon oil furniture polish on your interior is perfectly O.K.
Oil will give you a satin finish which you'll need to renew every six months to a year, depending on your climate.
A marine varnish gives you a nice glossy finish, which should last many years.
Either finish is good, it's a matter of chosing the finish you prefer.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS
MkV #581
San Diego

#3 2011-05-26 19:35:12

windyday

During the refit couple of years ago I used light sanding after washing (a cabinet maker friend recommended steel wool, but steel wool on a boat with fibreglass is not a good idea owing to rust spots later), followed by an oil wipe, followed by a coat of thinned varnish, followed by a coat of full strength varnish. Came out like new. A previous owner who is fastidious about his boats had already restored the wood using a similar method, so I did not have a major task. This year I made some modifications to the panelling in a couple of places and after I was done wiped the dings with dark walnut Danish oil. The dings all but vanished.

---------------------
1974 Mark II C&C 27

Last edited by (2011-05-26 19:35:33)

---------------------

1974 Mark II C&C 27

#4 2011-05-27 00:43:07

davidww1

For any refinishing application on a boat that would normally call for steel wool, substitute bronze wool. It's expensive compared to steel wool, but won't leave rust specks behind. Chandleries should have it and big-box hardware or industrial supply stores may have it (it has a variety of industrial uses).

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer