C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2012-10-19 01:04:36

whippet

Mast Up - Mast Down for Winter?

Winter storage facility i am using has no mast crane and 95% of the boats are mast-up anyway.

I plan to stay mast-up -- but hear a wide range of comments that i might be doing permanent damage to the structure / rigging.

in your view, is this really a big deal?     if there is an impact, is there a way to minimize by loosening rigging, etc.

Steve
TS&CC, 1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Toronto ON

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

#2 2012-10-19 02:51:44

Steve Reid

Re: Mast Up - Mast Down for Winter?

Steve
I have always stored my boat with the mast down. In fact I would never even consider putting it away with the stick up.

Several reasons why I feel so strongly about it;
-Taking the mast down gives me an opportunity to inspect all of the fittings/connections for wear and I can inspect all of the standing rigging terminals.
-We get some pretty strong winds over the winter and all that extra load on the hull, in it's cradle can't be good. Not to mention all of the shakeing and vibration caused by the rig in those winds.
-Leaving the rig tensioned just adds to the stress on the hull, again which is not in it's natural element but in it's cradle.

Steve Reid
Still Knot Working, Mk V 375

#3 2012-10-19 02:51:52

davidww1

There is an excellent summation of the possible problems by Marcus (username carriden) in the thread, "removing lower shrouds for winter storage". Paste that in the 'subject' search field.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#4 2012-10-31 22:43:06

whippet

Thanks David, that thread was useful.

Entering year 2 of C&C27 ownership.  Might it be possible that we meet up at Towser sometime in Winter or Spring?   I have a sense that asking you long list of questions for an hour in person will save me years of learning some things the hard way.  I can see that you are at "the top of the class."

Understood if this doesn't work -- or against Forum policy.   

Steve
TS&CC, 1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Toronto ON

Steve
1981 MkIII, Hull 886
Etobicoke YC, Toronto ON

#5 2012-11-01 02:52:21

davidww1

There are a lot of people who know as much as or more about these boats. I do, however, have the misfortune of having run this site for a long time, so I do know where the answers are. In short, I'm an "aggregator" rather than an expert.

I don't see much point in meeting at Towser in the winter as she is tightly tarped and in spring, prep time on the Island is precious. We might possibly meet at TS&CC - I used to race Wayfarers there on Thursdays and still have friends there. I will let you know if I'm coming to any event.

Just to keep you going, though, a thought... Why not compile a list of questions, right now when they're still fresh in your mind, to which you want answers? Search the Forum for extant answers first, though. Ask the group all the questions that pertain to lay-up right now. Come March, ask the launch prep questions. And so on. You'll ask better questions and get better answers when the topics are top-of-mind for you and for your responders. (A printer once told me that if you want to see the best quality from any press, ask them to print a hockey book during the play-offs - the pressmen are interested, they're motivated and there won't be a dot out of place - it's kinda like that.)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Board footer