C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2014-03-31 02:39:24

Jessy

Volvo Penta fit for a C&C 27???

Does anyone know if a Volvo Penta model MD7B 2 would fit in place of an Atomic 4? I have read a few posts of Yanmar swaps being done, but nothing of the Volvo/Penta. I am new to all this. Bought a 27 last summer and the Atomic 4 has more issues than worth fixing. I cruise along the west coast of BC and need a reliable diesel. Any feedback is appreciated.
Peter Lerch
1972 MK I
Sooke, BC

Peter Lerch
1972 MK I
Sooke, BC

#2 2014-04-01 11:33:48

davidww1

Re: Volvo Penta fit for a C&C 27???

Get out your measuring tape. Volvo almost certainly publishes a dimensioned diagram of the engine, from which you can determine if it will fit. Compare
- the overall length, width and height of the engine - you'll want to know how much engine is below the line of the engine's mounting brackets and how much is above; pay particular attention to the height of the exhaust elbow above the brackets as this will probably be the tightest fit to the bulkhead above the engine;
- the distance between the mounting hole centres for both engines. Chances are, they won't be precisely the same, but are they close enough to use the existing fibreglass bearers because you don't even want to think about replacing them (don't worry too much about the steel top parts as they are easy to replace)?
- are the service parts on the port side of the engine where you can get at them? Yanmar moved the oil filter to starboard for my 2YM15 and getting at it through the cupboard is a real hassle.

Can't think of anything else. Maybe someone else will chime in.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2014-04-03 00:53:44

Katara

When go to the Volvo Penta website there is an engine configurator 
http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/marine_leisure_engines/engine_configurator/Pages/engine_configurator.aspx
if you fallow the steps for a c&c 27 they suggest their saildrives  thats alot of mods
Beta has a swap out engine that fits the mounts perfect and the coupler
http://www.betamarinecanada.com/pdf/A4_guidelines.pdf
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
Bronte, ON

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#4 2014-04-03 23:42:14

davidww1

Saildrives are an installer's dream, and a warranty administrator's and owner's nightmare, particularly now that many clubs and marinas are having problems with stray-current corrosion (check out this old favourite for an example of extreme corrosion - <http://www.keithford.net/boatstuff/repower/repower.htm>). As George Hinterhoeller said, "Why put $3,000 worth of gear in the water, particularly salt water, if you can get away with a $500 prop and shaft?"

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2014-04-04 11:46:34)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2014-04-03 23:42:16

davidww1

Saildrives are an installer's dream, and a warranty administrator's and owner's nightmare, particularly now that many clubs and marinas are having problems with stray-current corrosion (check out this old favourite for an example of extreme corrosion - <http://www.keithford.net/boatstuff/repower/repower.htm >). As George Hinterhoeller said, "Why put $3,000 worth of gear in the water, particularly salt water, if you can get away with a $500 prop and shaft?"

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2014-04-05 02:24:18)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#6 2014-04-04 21:14:10

Katara

David , your link didn't open?  LaSalle Burlington has such bad electrics that my customer's paint is being boiled off , huge areas electrolysis around the drives and through hulls from stray current

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
Bronte, ON

Last edited by (2014-04-05 05:02:06)

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#7 2014-04-05 02:24:56

davidww1

Try now.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

Last edited by (2014-04-05 05:01:48)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#8 2014-04-05 04:11:04

Katara

Ok Lasalle isn't that bad
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
Bronte, ON

Last edited by (2014-04-05 05:01:25)

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#9 2014-04-05 05:07:43

foroadmin
Administrator

Remarks related to the keithford site and the state of corrosion at Lasalle Park on Burlington Bay, while interesting, were a red herring that sort of hijacked the repower conversation. Accordingly, I have created a new thread, where any further corrosion-related thoughts should be expressed.
- Admin

#10 2014-04-07 03:17:24

Jessy

Thanks David. I did the measuring and it is more work than I can commit to right now. I am in the process of tearing down my Atomic 4 and assessing if it is worth rebuilding.
Peter Lerch
1972 MK I
Sooke, BC

Peter Lerch
1972 MK I
Sooke, BC

#11 2014-04-07 03:54:37

Jessy

Thanks Gerard,
Have inquired with Beta. They are not far from where I live here on Vancouver Island. I am expecting the cost will be prohibitive. We shall see.  Yes, Beta got back to me in a timely fashion (good on them) and a 14hp Beta Diesel will coat me about $8.5K with me doing the install. That's $2K more than I paid fop the boat! I shall keep on the teardown & assess my Atomic 4 path - then will make a decision. Boat is otherwise sound. Thanks everyone for your feedback. Appreciated!
Peter Lerch
1972 MK I
Sooke, BC

Last edited by (2014-04-07 14:30:37)

Peter Lerch
1972 MK I
Sooke, BC

#12 2014-04-08 00:19:47

Katara

Peter,
I just did the same thought process with my boat Katara . I bought the boat last fall from a marina that had sheriff papers on it for non payment of storage . So after i bought the boat i found the Atomic 4 was in poor condition and most likely why the owner walked away from it . i priced out electric drives and diesel options & then i found a really good Atomic for sale and price and value of the boat made that the choice . keep Googling Atomic 4 they come up more often than you would think .
Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
Bronte, ON

Gerard Warner
Katara, '79 Mk III
D.Y.C.  Ontario

#13 2014-04-08 05:34:45

davidww1

There are a number of ways of looking at the issue of replacing an engine. One is the approach adopted by the owner of Hyperion (see The Fleet), who spent more than the price of the boat (new engine, Max-Prop) to get the boat he was happy with (and he was very happy). We also have spent a fair bit on Towser, but again, we're very happy with her - particularly after the endless struggles to deal with the original A4.

Others have had success rebuilding the original. Whether they are starting with better material or they are just better mechanics, I can't tell.

There is another route, touched on in the keithford site linked above - to troll the web for an engine bought for a project abandoned by the owner. There used to be a couple of places around Toronto where people were building Arks or ferrocement trimarans or God knows what and I'd be surprised if half of them ever launch a boat (this isn't to mock all home builders, but there a fair number of strange people and stranger boats out there). Just as there are probably a good number of A4's for sale out there, there are probably a goodly number of Volvos, Yanmars and so on, still in their crates. Worth a try.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#14 2014-04-08 20:13:23

sony2000

A sensible way could be to switch out the Atomic for another Atomic. Then switch the boat for a CS27 with a Yanmar 8hp.

Board footer