C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2014-12-24 05:47:09

Sailorone

windlass

Hi. It may be Christmas eve, but I can't stop thinking sailing. Has anyone installed the Lewmar v700 windlass? Is there enough room for the motor under the deck and enough drop for the rope and chain? Trying to make my back happy.

Mike, Captain of Blue Star
Ottawa, ON

Ottawa, ON

#2 2015-01-02 02:37:00

davidww1

Re: windlass

Since no one has offered specific advice, let me just offer a couple of general observations. First, this is not a trivial addition. Technically adept friends added a windlass to their 44-footer - which you would think had lots of room for the addition - and planning runs of chain and electrical cable had them tearing their hair for months.

Second, the windlass appears to be the tip of a very costly iceberg. See this page of general advice: http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/DIY-Installing-An-Anchor-Windlass

Finally, I too have a bad back and one trick that alleviates the strain is to power up to the anchor's position, then raise it. Pulling the boat up to the anchor in anything more than zero wind, then raising the anchor, is a two-Advil manoeuvre.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2015-01-02 05:59:16

Sailorone

Thanks for the advice David. I hadn't found the website you suggest and appreciate your bringing it to my attention. Spring is still a long way off so I will continue to gather as much info as possible before making a decision. But I have read several positive comments on other forums or in sailing articles, specifically with regard to the v700. As a contractor, I know enough to gather detailed information prior to execution. These parts are far to expensive to jump to a conclusion. But having it would certainly alleviate any problems with my back which I prefer to keep in shape for paying customers. Thanks again.

Ottawa, ON

Ottawa, ON

#4 2015-01-03 06:07:36

davidww1

You're welcome.

As a general note, West Marine's advice appears to be quite sound (which is to say, I've not found anything I disagree with). It tends to be a bit spare-no-expense but that's a more sensible starting point than suggesting that, for instance, you can wire your boat with household or automotive gear and achieve perfect safety and reliability.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#5 2015-01-12 08:41:56

ALAN FORD

One of my present crew, who used to race gainst me in his Mk 1V,  bought an Aloha 32 and installed a windlass in 'deference to his back'.  I spoke to him and here are some of his thoughts.
He installed a Lewmar Pro-Series 1000 (motor goes below deck), but given the size and displacement of a C&C 27 a model 700 should suffice. Go with the horizontal model where the motor drive is above deck, not below, thus avoiding space issues below. It's a classic case of "If you are going to do it, do it right". The cost of installation, cables etc can equal the purchase price of the windlass.  (As David says) Don't cut corners on cable, they are expensive but use what is specified for your windlass. Have separate Up/Down switches, on deck, forward. Use the starter battery for power, thus charging it when heaving the anchor, as the engine will be running. Have the windlass on its own separate breaker. Use an aluminium backing plate to distribute the load on deck. With the locker position on a 27 you may have to mount the windlass aft of the locker hatch, meaning hauling the anchor and rode on deck, then hand feeding it into the locker? Be sure that the anchor chain matches the windlass gypsy. Finally, follow instructions! Your back will say "Thank you"!!!!

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

Alan of SMOKE 1984 Mk V 002

#6 2015-01-22 02:20:57

Van_Isle

1979 C&C 27 MkIII, Hull No. 780
Cygnet
North Saanich, BC

Board footer