C&C 27 Association Forum

This Forum is supported by C&C 27 owners like you whose membership in the C&C 27 Association makes possible this Forum and the accompanying site. Thank you, members, for your continuing commitment.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

if you need to reset your password, you will have to confirm the request clicking the URL in the email that you will receive (Just in case check the spam folder)
If you have any problem, please do not hesitate to contact me

#1 2006-07-10 05:36:58

Hugh Morrin

Advice on a Sun Shade?

I've raced all my life but am now learning the finer points of cruising with my wife and two young kids. After spending this past weekend on the water, I've come to realize that some form of sun shade over the cockpit is a necessity. I'm looking for something that can be put up quickly while at a mooring, but taken down and stowed while sailing. I'm thinking of some type of light nylon, supported by collapsible fiberglass tent poles, that could go over the boom and be tied off to the lifelines. I'd also like to project it aft of the backstay. I doubt I can find anything suitable off the shelf, but does anyone have any suggestions or advice, or a design that works well? Or advice on things I should avoid? Anybody, by any chance, have anything like this they'd like to sell? Look forward to your suggestions and advice.Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu
MK III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club

Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu, C&C 27 Mk III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club, www.nsc.ca/cc27
President and back-up webmaster, C&C 27 Association

#2 2006-07-10 06:10:51

davidww1

Re: Advice on a Sun Shade?

For the quickest, dirtiest solution ever, do as Bruce Peever did for Scalliwag at the C&C Owners Regatta - pop down to Wal-mart or similar and pick up a couple of the little beach umbrellas they sell @ $10 ea. They sit right in the socket of a winch and will keep one or two people out of the sun. They're quite flimsy, but in a sheltered location, they should be fine.

We have a cockpit canopy that depends on three sectional aluminum poles. It's sort of floppy and a bit of a hassle to put up, but it does the job. Plus we have a bimini that goes over the aft end of the cockpit, but it provides so little shade that I've never seen enough point in it to have it fixed (all came with the boat). I suppose it would work well if we had a zipper on the forward side, so then we could fasten a cockpit canopy to that, but we don't cruise enough to justify the effort.

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

PS We also have a square of Sunbrella that attaches to the lifelines and goes over the fwd hatch. During the day we attach it high to provide shade and ventilation, and at night we lower it a bit so we don't both pop awake with the first rays of dawn.

Last edited by (2006-07-11 05:04:16)

David Weatherston
Towser, Toronto
C&C 27 Mk IV

#3 2006-07-11 04:02:36

pura vida

Hugh, Shade is a big topic for us down South so please take these comments with a grain of salt. Right now my boat has a bimini, two umbrellas, a tarp that reaches from the mast to the aft stay and a four foot square peice of fabric I use for filling in the gaps. The most important shade device at anchor or at the dock is the tarp that runs from the mast to the aft stay. It has reduced the heat inside the boat significantly. I am currently building one to fit from the mast to the bow. I used Sunforger canvas for that project. The umbrellas do provide shade but in my current configuration they are used to fill in the gaps, cover the forward hatch, etc. I have found the umbrellas that have a clamp on the handle for clamping onto a beach chair work well in the cockpit.
Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

Mike M
SV Wind Horse
Galveston, Tx

#4 2021-08-13 03:21:03

Hils Hilss

Have you thought about taking a beach canopy with you? This is also suitable for a regular beach holiday and can be done in a carport. And this is very convenient. You can hide from the sun and the wind. So if you like to travel, your tent should always be with you.

Last edited by Hils Hilss (2021-08-13 03:21:39)

#5 2021-10-14 17:52:03

Hugh Morrin

I see my post from 15 years ago has bumped up on the list again. For a simple and effective $15 solution, see https://www.flickr.com/photos/124912330 … /lightbox/.
Consists of:
  • 1 piece of 2x2 just short enough to fit in the V-berth or along the starboard settee, with a screw hook that hooks on the backstay.
  • 3 pieces of 3/16" line running from 2x2 forward; one to the mast, the other to the outer/upper shrouds.
  • 1 cheap tarp; I believe dimensions are 8' x 12' or perhaps 10' x 14'.
  • 1/8" lines tied to lifelines.
Sets up in a matter of minutes.

Hugh Morrin
Blue Zulu, C&C 27 Mk III, #894
Nepean Sailing Club, www.nsc.ca/cc27
President and back-up webmaster, C&C 27 Association

Board footer